Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 158

37Blanche, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1939 Engine Question?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I was looking at the listing of cars/parts available and one is this 1939 engine in Texas. I am wondering what the opening in the exhaust manifold is right beside the carb perch? Just curious as I have not seen anything like that on an engine before.
Thanks,
Bob J.

Attach file:

jpg  39 Packard engine.jpg (78.99 KB)
225215_639c9547bfbd5.jpg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2022/12/16 10:56
 Top  Print   

Re: 1939 Engine Question?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Maybe the stove chamber for the external thermostatic choke spring and actuating mechanism some of the prewar carbs used?

Posted on: 2022/12/16 11:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
On this site:
StrombergManual.pdf (packardinfo.com) Edit: The link was unsuccessful, but I know the document is there.

For the Stromberg EE-14 Carburetor . . . about 2/3 of the way in the document.

Excerpt from General Description:
In the Stromberg Model EE-14 carburetor the automatic choke control, with the exception of the thermostat unit, is built integral with the carburetor. The thermostat is attached to the manifold where it absorbs heat from the exhaust gas to govern its tension. The principles of operation are the same as previously used on Packard models, namely manifold vacuum, heat on a thermostat spring, and offset choke valve in the carburetor. The vacuum piston is used to open the choke valve when the engine begins to fire. It is directly connected to the choke valve while the thermostat spring is connected to the choke stem. The fast idle feature is accomplished by internal channels supplying additional fuel below the throttle valve during the cranking and warming up periods. Figs. 1 to 4 show the automatic choke control and fast idle in the various stages of operation.

There figures showing the details of adjusting the choke bimetal spring.

dp

Posted on: 2022/12/16 19:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Thanks. I understand it now. I can also see why it was not continued. Very harsh environment for the mechanism and a large area for gas leakage.
Bob J.

Posted on: 2022/12/17 12:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I’m not sure but I believe it’s a sealed chamber that is independent of the exhaust gasses.

Posted on: 2022/12/17 12:33
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved