Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
95 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 93

r1lark, Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Lever thingy on exhaust manifold?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Icarus
See User information
Hello everyone! I was trying to diagnose a rough running issue on my Packard, and when I was under the car I found a square lever thing on the exhaust manifold right under the intake. What is this lever thing? I tap it with my wrench, and it spins freely roughly 120 degrees.

Posted on: 2023/1/10 16:34
-1948 Packard Super Deluxe Eight LWB
 Top  Print 

Re: Lever thingy on exhaust manifold?
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Heat riser for the carb when cold. So you want that working. There should be a coil spring on that

Posted on: 2023/1/10 16:43
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Icarus
See User information
Is the coil spring internal or external? There was no coil spring that I could see, and very little resistance. Could the heat riser cause issues when the engine is warm?

Posted on: 2023/1/10 16:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
It's an external coil spring. It connects to the hear riser valve and holds it shut when closed. As it warms up it opens the valve and holds it open. Very easy to replace. Max Merritt has what you need.

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  1003_5f7c505143aed.jpg (134.99 KB)
1059_63bde501d229f.jpg 727X907 px

Posted on: 2023/1/10 17:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It’s flat bimetal thermostatic spring with the tab on the inside fitting into the slot in the shaft and the outer end is anchored by a pin on the manifold as shown in the illustration above. Be sure that the pin is intact and don’t run the engine much until it’s fixed and working as it blocks the exhaust.

Posted on: 2023/1/10 19:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Many folks pin or otherwise wire this open in lieu of the bimetal spring. You could do that while troubleshooting at a minimum. It slows warmup a bit but otherwise doesn’t affect operation. Mine was pinned open in my car long before I received it.

Posted on: 2023/1/10 19:50
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Icarus
See User information
I think I'm just gonna pin it open. I live in Florida, so cold weather operation isn't really a major concern of mine. Thanks!

Posted on: 2023/1/11 10:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...I live in Scottsdale, Arizona and all I did was remove the spring about 10 years ago and all has been fine. Ernie

Posted on: 2023/1/11 12:09
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary49eight
See User information
I agree with you Ernie. My engine never had a spring, haven't had a problem with running or carb getting too hot. I am pretty sure the counterweight caused the flap to "fail-safe" in the open (warmed up) position. I don't want to pull my manifold off just to check this, can anyone confirm?
Gary

Posted on: 2023/1/12 3:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Yes, the counterweight on the heat riser valve holds it in the 'warm' position. This is a fail-safe so that the butterfly does not stay in the 'cold' position and allow the exhaust gases to rise continually as that would overheat the carb and possibly burn the valves. Drove my 261 Pontiac straight 6 for about 100,000 miles over 30 years with the heat riser valve rusted open with no issues. Winter and summer too, back when we had winter! No wire needed as gravity is your friend in this case!
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/1/12 9:15
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved