Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 114

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

carburator/uphill problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Hi all! Just wanted to see if anyone else out there has suffered this. Whenever I try to take my Polly (53 Cavalier) uphill, she starts to chug like there's no fuel and barely makes it. The floats are adjusted right and I've cleaned out the see through filter and replaced the aftermarket inline. Same problem still. This is driving me nuts! I'd really like to take her for a cruise up the canyons here and get some pics with a nice background for a change!

Posted on: 2009/10/11 11:16
 Top  Print   

Re: carburator/uphill problem
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If truly fuel related, there is a screen inside the pump bottom which might need looking at unless one of your aftermarket filters is before the pump. Also have been reports that the pickup pipe in tank can develop pin holes or moving debris can block inlet located down inside the little triangular pickup area on tank bottom. Perhaps going up a hill might introduce those into play. I have had personal experience with the rubber hose between steel line and pump inlet failing internally but that was also an issue on level ground.

Posted on: 2009/10/11 11:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
disconnect the MAIN LONG fuel line between tank and fuel pump. Blow it out real good with compressed air.
CATCH WHATEEVER COMES OUT in a bottle or cooffee can and inspect for water. The water can act like a check valve in the main fuel line.

IS your problem strictly hot weather related or does it also occur at ambient temps of say under 80 degrees F ????

Posted on: 2009/10/11 16:00
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Simple problem, simple solution. Drive the car uphill backwards, like a Model T.

Posted on: 2009/10/11 16:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
The above simple remarks come from a simple mind :D

Posted on: 2009/10/11 16:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Yup, I''mmm a litle sloe!

Posted on: 2009/10/11 17:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
Simple problem, simple solution. Drive the car uphill backwards, like a Model T.

Quote:
The above simple remarks come from a simple mind

I like the solution. It's as good as many other fixes I see people doing to correct a problem.

Posted on: 2009/10/11 18:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I like it, but you gotta remember Phil's a Fiero fan, and therefore a little off....

Posted on: 2009/10/11 18:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Check the May 2001 issue of Hot Rod Magazine - pages 84-89

Posted on: 2009/10/11 20:49
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved