Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Wyong Show & Shine 8th November 2009
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Show & Shine is not the right name for this event as sunshine was distinctly lacking as an ingredient. Each year for the past few years PACA has participated at Wyong, which is about 55 miles north of Sydney, meeting at McDonald's carpark at Thornleigh then convoying to the venue. Apart from the rain it was an enjoyable day with 6 Packards from Sydney and 1 from Tamworth, about 200 miles north-west of Wyong attending. Took some pic's in the carpark at McDonald's, on the way and at the event. Here are a few, with a link to the Picasa Album for the lot.http://picasaweb.google.com/ozstatman/WyongShowShine2009#

Attach file:

jpg  (35.00 KB)
226_4af6671b9efbd.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (22.16 KB)
226_4af6672547b26.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (43.54 KB)
226_4af6673634e22.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.90 KB)
226_4af667412c7ed.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.61 KB)
226_4af6674c8bdab.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/11/8 1:39
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Re: Wyong Show & Shine 8th November 2009
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Once again nice pics Mal. I though you might have gotten a pic of the 2 convertibles together... I couldn't resist moving the car so they were side by side.

Also, what happened to everyone today? I got back and everyone had disappeared. Harvey won 2 tropheys, runner up in best paint & Shannons choice for car of the show... Well done Harvey

Posted on: 2009/11/8 2:21
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
packard34 wrote:......Also, what happened to everyone today? I got back and everyone had disappeared. Harvey won 2 tropheys, runner up in best paint & Shannons choice for car of the show... Well done Harvey

We went home! That's what happened, sorry I didn't say good-bye. Did you go and look at Wayne's '56 400 on your way home?

Congratulations to Harvey on his wins, very well deserved. Speaking of Harvey, in his own inimitable fashion sitting around after lunch, he was telling us about how someone had used "gorilla snot" in his '40 Willys. Seems he's having trouble getting the windows to wind up/down and part of this problem is due to the "gorilla snot" or, in more refined circles, silastic type compound used in the window channels. You can always count on Harvey to provide vivid descriptors, many of which aren't repeatable.

Posted on: 2009/11/8 4:17
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Good Old Harvey "Gorilla Snot" Gotta keep that one in mind. I didn't end up seeing Wayne. I completely forgot. Next time i'm up that way ill have to go see him. It was nice to see him again at the show.

Cheers,
Mat

Posted on: 2009/11/8 5:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Mal

I have never heard or seen an
FX Holden Sedan
before you posted the photo above.

Do you know the history of this manufacturer and automobile?
It resembles a post-war Buick of the late 1940s early 50s era.

DanL

Posted on: 2009/11/8 9:52
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Sorry Mal,
My impatience and curiosity got the best of me.

http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/holden_48215_FX_technical_specifications.htm

It was made in OZ!!!

Quote:
8-215 (FX) HOLDEN HISTORY
On 29 November 1948, 1200 men and women, including Prime Minister Ben Chifley, stood around a humble-looking ivory-coloured motor car. The car had appeared from behind silver curtains to strains of a ten-piece orchestra and the crowd greeted it with loud applause. It was the first Holden, a completely new six-cylinder sedan destined to become Australia's first successfully mass-produced car. James Robert Holden, the Resident Director of Holden in Adelaide, represented the Holden family at the launch.

The first Holden, designated the 48-215 (and later commonly known as the FX), was a four-door, six-seater. Although adapted from an American design, it was built almost entirely in Australia. It incorporated advanced features including a unitary construction body. Powered by a torquey 2.15-litre engine and weighing less than one tonne, it had exceptional performance for a low-cost family car. Buyers boasted of '80mph and 30mpg' and the dust sealing and rough road ride were exceptional. The 54kW 'grey engine' (named after the colour of its painted block) proved a remarkably durable unit. As word spread, the waiting list grew longer and longer. The following quote from the RACV's newspaper, 'The Radiator', was typical of press comment: 'As cars go today... it is not a big car but it rides like one, has equivalent passenger comfort and performs like one'. In 1951, the first Holden utility was launched. It was an immediate hit with urban businesses as well as the man on the land.

HOLDEN HIGHLIGHTS
1948 A modest total of 112 examples of the first Holden car, designated 48-215, rolls off Holden's Firshermans Bend production line by year's end. Thousands of orders are taken.

1949 The demand for Holden cars astounds everybody. the company advertises that the 'Holden is worth waiting for' and makes every effort to increase the production capacity as quickly as possible. Holden continues to import chassis and components to assemble British and US cars and trucks.

1950 Holden production is lifted to 80 units a day. The number of Holden employees now exceeds 10,000 and during the year more than $43 million is paid to outside suppliers for materials, components and services.

1951 All Holden plants expand and the company purchases 60 hectares of land at Dandenong, Victoria for future development. Holden production reaches 100 units a day. The total production (since 1948) passes 50,000. Holden produces its first coupe-utility. Based on the 48-215 sedan, the 'ute' has an offical model code of 50-2106.

1952 The demand for Holden cars continues to grow and plans are laid for further expansion of production facilities. Holden sales for the year reach 32,000. Source: The Holden Heritage (Holden Ltd)

SOURCE:http://www.holden.org.au/index.cfm?objectid=E492FEB8-0FF4-221B-9E4E58483BA784AB

DanL

Posted on: 2009/11/8 10:02
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
41ParPack wrote:......The first Holden, designated the 48-215 (and later commonly known as the FX), was a four-door, six-seater. Although adapted from an American design, it was built almost entirely in Australia........DanL

"Adapted from an American design" means the car was designed by GM in Detroit, see link.

http://www.nma.gov.au/collections-search/display?irn=76869

Posted on: 2009/11/8 14:51
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Here are two pictures of a Holden show show car from 1970.
The Holden GTR-X

John F. Shireman

Attach file:

jpg  (59.70 KB)
105_4af739df0a6fb.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (77.34 KB)
105_4af73a16a8496.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2009/11/8 16:36
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Well, I have never heard of a Holden before today. I see they still produce a full line of vehicles.
Thanks for the education.

It seems as though GM has kept this car isolated from the rest of the world on the island of OZ.

Hard to believe.

DanL

Posted on: 2009/11/8 20:12
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Wasn't the Pontiac G6 a Holden Model or was that the new GTO?

Posted on: 2009/11/8 20:25
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved