Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
266 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 265

JWL, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

water pump rebuilding
Home away from home
Home away from home

jreeder41
See User information
What are your guys suggestions? I saw that Kanter sells a new pump but in the pics it looks like it is one cast piece. Mine has a removable center (the actual pump) I do see that Max Merrit sells a rebuild kit also. My casting has no damage and I would to keep it as original as possible. The rebuild kit looks pretty simple and easy to do.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 7:20
 Top  Print   

Re: water pump rebuilding
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you chose not to do it yourself and don't require a new pump casting, one of the long-standing vendors to the hobby that specializes in rebuilding of water and fuel pumps is Gould Rebuilders. Myself and many others have used him with complete satisfaction for many years.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 8:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jreeder41
See User information
That was another option I was thinking of. We have used them in the past.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 10:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
FWIW, rebuilding a Packard V8 water pump is MUCH more difficult than it might appear. Pay the man, Shirley.

Quote:
I saw that Kanter sells a new pump but in the pics it looks like it is one cast piece.
Anyone confirm this? I can't imagine Kanter or anyone making a pattern to cast a one-piece Packard V8 water pump. The smallest parts; shaft, bearings and seals are all which wear. The large parts; manifold housing and water pump housing last forever.

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/9/28 12:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
By the time you buy the kit for a V-8 pump, you'd be further ahead to have yours rebuilt. Does the kit come with a new impeller? The plastic ones are great but cannot be reused on a rebuild. If you have a cast impeller that would not matter. It is harder than it looks to rebuild and you would need access to a glass beading booth to clean it properly. Send it to Gould and be happy.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 14:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Whenever I check the numbers it seems that buying the rebuilt ends up costing less. The economies of scale always beat the do it yourself route both in cost and quality (when using an experienced supplier). And that is true with modern cars for things like CV axles.

The only problem with rebuilts is that for modern cars - new dealer parts are always better quality.

Doing it yourself is a great way to pass time and if you want to know all about the car then by all means try it if you have the equipment.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 19:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
As far as quality goes, the rebuilt units have a guarentee and use the original Packard body casting and hub. Not so sure about the overseas built castings and if anything will interchange with an original pump.

Posted on: 2010/9/28 21:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Not so sure about the overseas built castings

Who is selling new waterpumps made with foreign castings?

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/9/29 0:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Jack, Kanter's new pumps, at least for the 48-50 models and perhaps others, utilize new castings made overseas. They appear indistinguishable from the OEM pumps with the exeption of some marks on the castings, probably mold #s or vendor trademarks.

Posted on: 2010/9/29 8:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jreeder41
See User information

Posted on: 2010/9/29 8:42
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved