Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 168

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

clutch issues
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

fern51
See User information
ok so heres the deal i go in to move the packard today and the clutch will not disengage to put into 1st and if i try to start in first it lurches forward as if im starting it without pushing in the clutch. any ideas as to whats wrong?

Posted on: 2010/10/30 17:09
 Top  Print   

Re: clutch issues
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the clutch pedal and all related feel normal, then I'd guess the clutch disk has stuck to the pressure plate or flywheel. I had that experience and it was a pain. Finally broke free after several attempts at pushing trying to rock the car and several more attempts to start it regularly. Hopefully someone has a better suggestion.

Posted on: 2010/10/30 17:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
HH56 probably has the correct explanation, and it's not an uncommon occurance on cars in long storage, especially in damp conditions. Hence the old practice of useing a length of wood to block the clutch pedal downwards during long storage.

Posted on: 2010/10/30 18:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
To break it loose:

Place transmission in gear. Preferably high gear but any of them will do ok. Keep clutch pedal pushed in.
With ignition switch OFF or coil wire disconnected engage the starter just mommentarily for maybe 2 or 3 seconds. Repeat the process. It should break loose after about the 3rd try.

I prefer rocking the car back and forth by muscle power. But i have done it several times using the above method.

Posted on: 2010/10/30 20:25
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Also be sure that u have a CLEAR PATHWAY in the direction in which gear u have placed the shift lever.

Posted on: 2010/10/30 20:27
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Mike
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Hence the old practice of useing a length of wood to block the clutch pedal downwards during long storage.

That couldn't be too good for any of the springs involved.

Posted on: 2010/11/1 17:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Block it just enuf to slightly release it.

Posted on: 2010/11/1 18:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Block it just enuf to slightly release it.

Yes, agreed, good advice. And the springs are under compression anyway for their entire lives, even when the clutch is "at rest"; doubt a tad more is going to make any significant difference, at least not with a quality pressure plate.

Posted on: 2010/11/1 20:22
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

fern51
See User information
went out to work on clutch and miraculously it worked.thanks for the replies

Posted on: 2010/11/2 17:44
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved