Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 146

DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

HELP WHICH MODEL PACKARD IS THIS?
Just popping in
Just popping in

REPOSSU
See User information
Hello,
I need a little help narrowing down which model this Packard is. Also is there anyway of tracking the history on this car to know if it was owned by someone famous?
Thanks in advance, as I am a newbie

1929 Packard Convertible
Wheel base is approx 142 inches

Number on Firewall

Vehicle Number on Tag

Delivered
06-08-1929

By Packard Motors Inc.

Posted on: 2010/11/27 22:46
 Top  Print   

Re: HELP WHICH MODEL PACKARD IS THIS?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Have you referred to the 1929 Model Year information in the Packard Model Info section here on PackardInfo?

Concerning prior owners, unless that information came with the car when you bought it, probably very difficult to find. Best chance might be the roster keepers for the year/model concerned with the major Packard clubs, PAC or PI, if the car has ever been on their books. Or tracing back by contacting the prior owner, then to the owner before that, etc. Good Luck in your search.

Posted on: 2010/11/27 23:43
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

REPOSSU
See User information
I tried that but do not know what series it is? The previous owner has been deported from the USA.
Thanks

Posted on: 2010/11/28 0:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Now that is a bummer!

What about information on the public record relating to his deportation? May give details of the prior owner, who he bought the car from?

Posted on: 2010/11/28 0:45
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

REPOSSU
See User information
<p>Here is a picture of it, hope the upload works<br />I am going to try to get full DMV records history search print out through a friend at the P.D.</p>

Attach file:

jpg  (154.45 KB)
3095_4cf1f0f4cd8e3.jpg 1600X956 px

Posted on: 2010/11/28 1:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
The grille and headlights ( hard to see detail) appear ot be 6th series, 1929. The cowl lights which are on this car were 1929 only. The radiator ornament is an aftermarket non-original item. Bumper is incorrect

The wheels are incorrect, smaller than original and have large hubs with large caps. Original wheelsw had small aluminum screw on caps with red hex in center.

Front fenders look sort of right, but the space underneath where the wheel is seems too big. Maybe small wheels??

Front opening door is not on any original factory bodied cars. This MAY be a custom body, but I'm betting it is a body from another car or perhaps a modern rebody.

Something/everything looks wrong with this car. Would like to see rear and side shots. If it's a cobbled together car it's not worth "Packard money" Maybe $20,000 to drive around and look cool.

Posted on: 2010/11/28 2:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
On further inspection:

Wheelbase of 140 = model 640
Wheelbase of 145 = model 645

Plain inside of door says for sure it's a modern rebody, I suspect South America.

If someone has an open 640 or 645 body, great chassis/hood etc.

Posted on: 2010/11/28 2:20
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

REPOSSU
See User information
I know there are alot of things on this car that are wrong but not sure which ones. Thanks for letting me know. I will add more pics so you can tell me what you see wrong. Its really apprieciated as I have no idea, Its a shame that it has a Chevy motor/trans and different rear end?also :(. The dash is not right either and the guages are aftermarket vdo :(<br />I am not sure about south america body, I did notice the door hinges are welded on instead of screwed on :?( again more bad news. I am just not sure if the old owner had them made them open in the wrong direction. I will post more pictures in the a.m.

Attach file:

jpg  (171.60 KB)
3095_4cf203c25a29e.jpg 956X1600 px

Posted on: 2010/11/28 2:29
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

REPOSSU
See User information
<p>one more pic for tonight</p>

Attach file:

jpg  (237.38 KB)
3095_4cf209d078d34.jpg 1600X956 px

Posted on: 2010/11/28 2:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi REPOSSU

Fred Kanter has named it correctly, it's a cobbled together car on a '29 640 chassis. Examining the photos, one can see the radiator looks original but little else.

The wheels are smaller and later, perhaps '32-'34, the headlights look to be Willys-Knight. The fenderlamps are late '30's something. The hood has been lengthened, note the raised side panels on which the hood doors should be is missing. The front fenders have been lengthened and are a real hack job, compare the shape of those to pictures of restored 640's on here.

I doubt if that is a Packard factory body but haven't been able to identify what make it's from. It is definitely a chopped off coupe, note the crude shaping on the forward door sill that shows where that work was done. If you find welding on the body, which would be metal over an ash wood frame, that's a tell-tale this is a cobbled job.

While the chassis may be largely '29 Custom Eight 640, I'd be VERY careful to check out all the components to be sure what they are. I'd proceed extremely carefully and verify what it is before making any deal to buy it.

If this car was an export car originally, it's 'restoration' offshore was done with the objective reselling it for as much money as possible to an unknowledgeable collector. Do yourself a favorite, avoid being the next sucker.

If you can get clearer pictures, we'll all do our best to identify what exactly that poor Packard is.

Steve

Might be a good chassis to restore correctly then rebody to one of the lost period full custom body designs.

Posted on: 2010/11/28 10:05
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved