Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 223

Phat Jonny, humanpotatohybrid, BigKev, TxGoat, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Problems with modern gas
Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
After having spoken with several owners of older vehicles at car shows in my area, I removed the ceramic filter from the front of my carb. This poorly refined fuel here gums it up within thirty miles or so (even a brand new filter). Also, I get maybe one hundred miles or so and I have to rebuild my electric fuel pump. The fuel gums up the pump as well. Getting tired of doing this! I run premium gas in her, with octane boost and lead additive. One would think this would be enough! I'm planning on rebuilding the mechanical pump and leaving the electric on for just in case. Anybody have any sources for this? My baby is a 53 Cavalier with a 327 straight eight. Thanks Folks!

Scott

Posted on: 2011/4/4 10:54
 Top  Print   

Re: Problems with modern gas
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You've got an interesting problem. Actually today's gasoline is much more highly refined than gasoline of the past, though it does have a much shorter static life. How long has that gas been in your tank? If more than 4 or 5 months, I'd suggest starting by discarding it, cleaning the tank and all lines etc., and trying again with fresh gasoline. Has your tank ever been "cleaned"? I assume your pump rebuilds were with materials compatible with ethanol-containing gasoline? Aside from that age issue, gum formation and the other problems you've experienced I've not heard any hobbyists attributing to modern gasoline.

Posted on: 2011/4/4 11:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Your very first step is to stop running octane boost and lead substitute. Your car should also run quite happily on regular as it has 8:1 compression. I feel these "extras" are wasting your money and probably creating their own problems.

Second, I agree with Owen; if your tank has never been cleaned and once accumulated a lot of gum in the past, it will keep dishing it out as the fresh gas slowly dissolves it.

I've run my 56 20k miles in the last 3 years with no fuel problems. Except under hard low speed pulls it is happy with regular.

Posted on: 2011/4/4 11:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Apparently, the ethanol in today's fuels disintegrate normal rubber products, so I'm constantly going to be replacing things unless I change my lines to all metal, and replace the diaphram type pump I have with a rotary. Ain't things just grand? Oh, yes, my tank has been cleaned and purged. Thanks guys!

Scott

Posted on: 2011/4/4 13:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't know about the electric pump for sure but Hirsch lists a 6v alcohol compatiblehttp://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FP-E8902MK pulse pump although he says check for availability. Max also lists one for more $ but his doesn't mention alcohol although I expect anything fairly new would be OK. Unless you want a rotary pump, then another pulse would save on extra plumbing.

Then and Nowhttp://www.maritimedragracing.com/antique_auto_parts_cellar.htm has the modern diaphragms and rebuild kits for your mechanical pump and most of the vendors have new alcohol resistant repro front flex hoses.

Posted on: 2011/4/4 13:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Agreed, as long as you buy a pump, and use hoses rated for todays fuels, you shoulnt have any problems.

The problem come when you are using older rubber materials which are not compatible with the ethanol in todays fuels. That is why you shouldn't use an old rebuild kit for the carb or fuel pump. You need to use a modern kit.

Posted on: 2011/4/4 14:26
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Just picked up my new fuel pump and hose yesterday. Looking forward to a bit a decent weather so I can start replacing things!

Posted on: 2011/4/9 13:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I would be suspicous of debris in the gas tank. Has it been inspected for debris?????
Does the "gum" look like this:

Attach file:

jpg  (35.71 KB)
35_4da0c797512a5.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/4/9 15:55
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I tore a different carb apart today that has the same kind of pastey 'gum' in it as the picture above but it more closely resembles Tn. red clay than a very white paste.

When it dries out it is an extremely fine powder. Both carbs from different applications but with known personal history.

Posted on: 2011/4/9 16:00
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
This white substance IS what I've been finding. Needless to say, I'm going to start adding Sta-Bil for any time period of longer than thirty days without driving my baby. Going to the parts store today and I'm buying new fuel lines. I'm going to re-route my system and make it easier to get to and more dependable as well. More news in the future!

Scott

Posted on: 2011/4/19 11:55
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved