Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 107

Guscha, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine Serial Number-53 Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information
I didn't see this anywhere else in the forums, I think I know the answer, but where would I fing the engine serial number ojn a 327 Thunderbolt? Is it right on the top of the head?

Some background info:
I bought my car from a reputable classic car dealer in West Chester, Pa. While he's not a Packard expert and not the original owner of this car, I basically got a good car for a good price. In my post-purchase research, which seems to consume more and more of my free-time, I got the notion that the block color on the 53's should be grey. I guess I got that idea from ill Hirsch's catalog where the engine paint is listed as grey for a '53. But never really thought much of it, plus I couldn't really get to the garage much in the winter (its an off-site garage I am renting on a short-term lease).

I did notice on a visit to the car in February that the date 5 20 53 was cast on the front left of the head. I thought that was cool because I know my car is a 2662 body stle and serial number 23480, so from that I assume it was made rather late in production, as something like 26.000 of these were made for 1953. I had NOT previously noticed, until today that the exhaust manifold has the remnants of grey paint on it.

So, last night in advance of my visit today to the car, I downloaded the Engine Serial number reference from the forum directory, since I had seen a number cast above the PACKARD on the top of the head.

So I eagerly checked it first thing and found this number:

Attach file:

jpg  (137.13 KB)
3620_4d9e885267a6c.jpg 1296X968 px

Posted on: 2011/4/7 23:00
[color=0099FF]Respectfully,
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine Serial Number-53 Clipper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It will be on drivers side of block just below head and stamped on a smoothed area either around distributor toward rear of engine or just above the starter.

Posted on: 2011/4/7 23:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The engine number should be in the L300xxx numbering series.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/4/8 10:05
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Here is where you will find the engine serial number. If it is hard to read, rub it with a piece a chalk, and then wipe it off. The chalk will remain in the stamping and make the number more readable.

Attach file:

jpg  (72.92 KB)
1_4d9f36ec9eb40.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2011/4/8 11:25
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
While you are writing down numbers,record the thief-proof number stamped in the passenger-side firewall bracketed by two arrows (<>). Give this number to your insurance company also. It is part of proof that identifies your Packard.

Posted on: 2011/4/8 20:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information
Will do. I'm not sure how this thread ended up here twice, but I appreciate all the feedback so far. I'm about to head to the garage before work. I've been watching Barrett-Jackson this weekend and they just sold a beautiful 1950 Victoria for $45k.

Posted on: 2011/4/9 13:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information
I found the serial number after rubbing the closest thing I had to chalk (Boelube) over the spot and came up with this. A few days later, I was looking at the owners manual and things that came in the folder and found that the Engine number is typed on the back of it, so I have the original engine which was removed and likely rebuilt at some point. I know my car had a lousy repaint at some point as well, but not in the firewall area, so all I can assume now is that the engine didn't vome out at the time the car was painted. I'm looking at a full repaint later this year. There is a guy in Fredericksburg, VA who does Ultramatics (Ultramatic Dynamics) and I saw in Hemmings Motor News that there is a restoration shop in town also. I'm considering having everything done down there (Engine pulled and rebuilt, trans pulled and rebuilt, and car repainted) since its not too far away from me-about 3 hours. My wife and I loved Frederickburg when we breezed through on our last vacation.

Attach file:

jpg  (220.38 KB)
3620_4da820152f359.jpg 1296X968 px

Posted on: 2011/4/15 5:29
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved