Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
198 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 196

moodydavid16, dallas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

41 clipper with tunderbolt conversion
Just popping in
Just popping in

plib
See User information
Hi

I am really just wondering if anybody has seen or actually done this engine conversion.

I've recently been hired to drop a beautiful big rebuilt thunderbolt 327 into a 41 clipper, but the guy who owns it didn't realise that the thunderbolt is an inch and a half longer than the original straight 8 that I pulled out.

just wondering if anybody has done this before, as we have decided to go ahead with it, but will need to have a smaller custom radiator made and custom engine mounts that sit an inch and a half forward from the originals, plus customise the linkage mount on the block to sit back an inch and a half.

as well as that, the oil pump fouls with the cross member on the chassis, which will, i suppose, need to be cut slightly to fit and then reinforced.

would be great to know if anybody had any hints or tips of anything else that may be a problem.

Cheers

Posted on: 2011/7/28 21:35
 Top  Print   

Re: 41 clipper with tunderbolt conversion
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure which engine you are replacing but there is a Packard article on replacing the Clipper 356 with a later 327 engine. A follow up article later on (issue 9, same year) with different part numbers and modified instructions.

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL27NO7.pdf

Posted on: 2011/7/28 21:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, I have successfully installed a few 327 engines into pre-war junior packards and the basic instruction is detailed in Packard Literature and manuals No 54. I only have the RHD version of the letters but there would have been a LHD instruction as well. Basically the firewall is pushed in, the gearbox cross member is altered to shift the gearbox mounts rearward, and the front of the engine is raised by blocks on the front cross member to clear the fuel pump from Chassis interference. You also need a donor front engine mount set up from a pre 1948 Packard. Not hard to get. The fitment gets a bit messy when you start to install overdrive trans to a pre 39 Packard, but it should be very simple post 39. Best regards Peter Toet.

Posted on: 2011/7/28 23:20
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

plib
See User information
Fantastic,
I knew somebody out there had to have completed the project!
The information you have posted here is very handy!
I would love to know how/where I can get my hands on the instructions that you have described, Peter.
I am not so worried about the trans issues, as this one is running a reconditioned manual box.

Thanks very much for your reply!

Posted on: 2011/7/29 0:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hi Plib, Only just noticed that you are in OZ, so are we talking LHD or RHD. In any case i can send you a hard copy of the instructions if you PM me an address. Best regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2011/7/29 0:58
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day plib,
to PackardInfo, just starting to post then noticed you're an Aussie, always good to have another on-board.

And I've located the instructions that Peter referred to. They are under Packard Literature and Manuals in the Main Menu then in the Service Letters, Counselors & Bulletins section. And, as an act of kindness to another Aussie, here's the link - Right-Hand Drive Engine Replacement Service Letters. If memory serves me correctly, the scans were donated to PackardInfo by Peter!

A bit of an aside. Being the Secretary of the Packard Automobile Club of Australia I'm always interested to hear of Packards down-under. Maybe you could PM(Private Message) me or send me an email(ozstatmanATSIGNgmail.com) about the car and it's owner?

Posted on: 2011/7/29 1:10
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved