Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 129

Alvin14, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

electric antenna 1951
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Does anyone know if the nylon drive is supposed to be lubricated and if so with what. I used vaseline to lube the nylon drive gears. Need info on the long linier nylon drive line. Seems to work just fine without any lubrication at all. The nylon may be slippery enough on it's own.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2011/11/1 14:30
 Top  Print   

Re: electric antenna 1951
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I do not think you lube the nylon tube. If I remember correctly, the motor has some felt on the top of the housing by the gears that should get oiled.

Posted on: 2011/11/1 19:57
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Cannot really say Bob, but probably any careful and appropriate lubrication is 'good lubrication'.

I would think that it couldn't hurt to put a little white grease (Lithium grease, like used on door strikers / latches etc) on the gears to help them cope, if you can access them. Same stuff could be smeared lightly onto the actual antenna to reduce friction (and therefore the strain on the gears).

Posted on: 2011/11/1 21:49
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Not sure if you would want any lubrication on the actual nylon mast as then in might cause slipping between the pinch rollers. Probably only lubrication on actual gears I would think.

Posted on: 2011/11/1 21:53
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

oregonstan
See User information
How is it that you remove the antenna it seems pretty solidly mounted. The one on my car seems seized up so I was going to remove it and see what was going on but don't know how to take it off.

Posted on: 2011/11/1 23:21
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You need a spanner wrench to remove the chrome bezel nut on the top side above the fender. Then the Antenna drops down and out the bottom once you remove the underside brace.

Posted on: 2011/11/2 0:24
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

phsnkw
See User information
Hopefully your mast is retracted as well. I tried to remove one from a car that had the mast about half up and had a frozen motor. You have to (after the upper and lower attachments are unbolted) wiggle the unit just right to clear the mast from the hole in the fender and remove it.

Posted on: 2011/11/2 8:43
"Do you ever think about the things you do think about?"

Inherit the Wind
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Quote:
How is it that you remove the antenna it seems pretty solidly mounted. The one on my car seems seized up so I was going to remove it and see what was going on but don't know how to take it off.

My antenna was all the way up and frozen. I was pulling the engine so the fenders were removed. Made easy work of removing the antenna from the fender. After it's removal it was not a problem to dissemble the unit. Found one of the pinch roller shafts was frozen inside it's bronze bushing. Would not have figured that was the problem.

Posted on: 2011/11/2 11:46
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved