Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
247 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 245

William Grosz, todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

installing a radio in a 51 200
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I should be getting the rebuilt radio back from Harold Rushing next week. Several questions as my car has never had a radio - the shop manual describes how to power the electric antenna by wiring it to the of the fuel gauge post (long one) of the ignition switch. However, it doesn't say how to power the radio. As this car never had one, any suggestions? The book also mentions punching out a 3/4" knockout hole in the dash for the antenna wire. If anyone could send me a photo of the antenna routing, that would help. I plan on putting a manual antenna in - any suggestions as to where to get one that looks like the correct item? I.E., no red tips or only a single shaft. thanks

Posted on: 2011/11/9 16:05
 Top  Print   

Re: installing a radio in a 51 200
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
It's very hard to see with the fender on, but here is were the knock out plug is for the antenna cable to pass thru. (marked in yellow). The one on my car passes through a rubber grommet in that knock-out hole. The ground wire on the antenna screws into the firewall right next to it.

Attach file:

jpg  (51.63 KB)
1_4ebaef6855feb.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2011/11/9 16:24
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The antenna and radio installation is covered in the 51-54 shop manual under Accessories.

Posted on: 2011/11/9 16:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You will need a rubber grommet and I believe Steel has them -- if not, perhaps the hardware store will have something serviceable you can make work. It may take two doing it that way or perhaps a plastic hole plug would work. The proper grommet has a large diameter with flange for the 3/4 hole and a solid center you punch out for the small lead in wire. The routing is shown in fig 16 and 17 of accessories section of SM. Since the car didn't have a radio, hopefully the bottom Z or support bracket was included with the used radio. If not, you will need to make something sturdy to hold and support the bottom to hold it up and keep from moving in and out.

The manual says to connect power to BAT post of the accessory 10Amp circuit breaker (center of cluster) but that power comes from the (GA) terminal on ign switch. For practicality, whichever place the lead reaches or is easier. The radio should have an inline fuse in it's lead.

Manual antennas are available but don't believe anything aftermarket or modern will quite duplicate the original look because of the mounting nut and tip. Here is one that might not look too out of place if it can fit to the fender curve. Antenna They have other options as well.

Posted on: 2011/11/9 16:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
When I removed mine, the wire went through the main harness hole in the firewall. I just checked and I do have the hole as marked with the yellow circle. I guess if you do not want to drill a hole, you may be able to snake it through the main harness hole as my cars previous owner did.

Posted on: 2011/11/9 20:29
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Quote:
When I removed mine, the wire went through the main harness hole in the firewall.

Wish I had taken a picture. I have the hole with a grommet that Kevin refers to in his post. I do remember the antenna wire and the power for the electric motor went through different holes. Think the hole Kevin refers to was where the power went through and the antenna wire went through the large grommet with the electrical harness. Can anyone clarify the correct installation?

Added: The more I think about it I'm sure the extra hole or knockout is for the wires to the motor on the electric version and not for the antenna coax. Just looked at the fire wall. the ground connection in the middle of the coax cable does screw to the fire wall close to the large grommet containing the electrical wiring harness. Would guess that the knock out was only used when an electric antenna was installed like on the senior cars.

Posted on: 2011/11/10 11:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Figure 17 in accessories section of SM. Power cable thru large electrical grommet, antenna lead through the knockout hole lower down. Coax shield attaches to body near the lower hole.

To my mind, most likely reason for the split is the original antenna lead is relatively large --almost 3/8 diameter -- with the metal antenna plug on the end. IIRC, the main grommet is thick and has one large hole for main loom plus 3 small knockout holes for accessory cables. The lead might have been just a bit large for those small holes and if other accessories installed, maybe not enough of them unused.

Posted on: 2011/11/10 11:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bobs51
See User information
Quote:
Figure 17 in accessories section of SM. Power cable thru large electrical grommet, antenna lead through the knockout hole lower down. Coax shield attaches to body near the lower hole.

Thanks for the reference in the service manual. When I reinstall the fender and antenna I will install it as per figure 17. I have no idea why mine was installed in reverse of that. Perhaps the antenna was installed at the dealership and the installer didn't look at the book. Sure would be nice to have the build sheet to determine if the car came with the electric antenna.

Posted on: 2011/11/10 13:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Did you check the left side lower dash position for the electric switch that raises and lowers the antenna? If the switch is gone there's going to be a hole in the dash.....or a plugged hole...... Additionally, since the build document isn't available, why don't you just make "it so" and add the elect. antenna? It's was certainly a viable add-on accessory way back in the day, and it's addition does not detract from the car. Heck, get a Delco Wonderbar radio and enjoy the good life. Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2011/11/10 16:29
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
thanks for the advice guys. I have an older xerox copy of the SM and the smaller print is kinda fuzzy. I now can make out the words in Figure 17. No Z bracket, so I guess I will fabricate one.

Posted on: 2011/11/10 19:01
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved