Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 148

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Milestone cars
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Recently I found a site called Classic Car Database that gave some good specs on many cars, including late model Packards. It has a reference category that specifies what any car's "Classic" status is, and includes the "Milestone" status.

Well, I was surprised to see that all the seniors for '55 and '56 are considered "Milestone" cars, but NONE of the juniors.

Maybe I'm mistaken on the definition of a Milestone car, but I was always under the impression that a true milestone was a model that had unique characteristics for the marque (for instance, a GM car would have to have a unique body structure and not be a knockoff of another model). Hence the '63-'65 Buick Riviera was a Milestone car, no question.

I can see that the '55-56 senior Packards could be considered milestones in spite of the fact that they did not use an all-new Packard body, but rather an all-new, groundbreaking suspension. But wouldn't a '55 or '56 Clipper with TL suspension fit that category? Do you suppose they were excluded because they didn't all share the unique suspension while the seniors did?

Who decides this stuff, anyway? What's the effect, if any, on value?

Posted on: 2011/12/3 14:51
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Re: Milestone cars
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There used to be a club --I think it was called the Milestone Car Society--where cars were nominated and voted by ?? --similar to the AACA nominations and approval process. I don't know if the club still exists but was a member for years and have several of their magazines. Perhaps that is the Milestone status they refer to.

Posted on: 2011/12/3 14:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
They have essentially gone the way of dodo bird. Last time I looked their website was still up but hadn't seen an update in many moons. Too bad, I thought they had latched onto a good idea.

Posted on: 2011/12/3 15:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
I think this site has enough useful information to merit a link here. But what do I know? See for yourselves:

http://www.classiccardatabase.com/search.php?year=1955&make=Packard

This takes you to Packard. It's really set up logically, I think.

Posted on: 2011/12/3 15:25
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved