Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
95 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Cormorant Article about Torsion Bar Potential Problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
The current Cormorant News Letter has an interesting three page article that describes a type of torsion bar issue that was hard to detect and potentially hazardous.

1.) Can we post it in our reference library?

2.) Anyone care to comment on it? Has this happened to you, and if so tell us about it....

Posted on: 2011/12/30 23:38
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Cormorant Article about Torsion Bar Potential Problem
Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I would like to see the article, but am not a subscriber to the Cormorant. Where do I sign up?

Posted on: 2011/12/31 1:30
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
BHappy and Pat

Join PAC. I have many good friends in it and the publications are superb. I have been to two nationals and a Henry Joy tour, and they were very well run.

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2011/12/31 8:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello:

I thing you are talking about the Comorant News Bulletin and the article called "An Unexpected Torsion-Level Repair" by Jeff Pachl. It is a very informative article and I wonder if there isn't a club project here.

I suspect it is a copywritten document and you would need permission from the editor and PAC.

Why don't you contact the editor, Craig Handley, directly at cnbeditor@gmail.com and get their permission.

Frankly, you should join PAC not only for the camaraderie, but also for technical articles such as this.

--Roger--

Posted on: 2011/12/31 9:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Craig mentioned something similar happening on his car although I don't think it was as severe. It may be on a thread here but was long enough back it could be AACA or his Panther site.

His mount had also been previously repaired but I believe it was his shock mount section or stud that broke off. IIRC he replaced his with a 56 version but since shocks mount a bit differently, think there was also some other changes. Am sure he will enlighten us if he sees this thread.

Posted on: 2011/12/31 9:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you're really serious about your interest in Packards, you would benefit greatly from joining PAC (or PI, or both for that matter). The article in question here is in the current issue of PAC's The Packard Cormorant, and back issues are available, at $8 each as I recall. The content is copyrighted but I may be able to excerpt some of the content on PAC's own Forum.

Info athttp://www.packardclub.org

Among the other articles of interest in that issue was a biographical sketch of the inventor of the Torsion Level system, Bob Allison. And another about reminisces by his sons of the Cycle Car, including driving it several PAC Packard National Meets. Both sons were at last year's Packard National in Gettysburg. The 3rd article, also thought provoking, was about the (alleged) 1955 Caribbean hardtops.

Over on The Packard Club's forum, there is a thread in the Packard in the Media discussion group titled "The Next Issue of The Packard Cormorant" which enables you to get a snapshot of what will be forthcoming in future issues.

Posted on: 2011/12/31 10:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I haven't seen the subject article (and have no intent of rejoining the subject club), but after reading the opening post of this thread, I was expecting something more shocking than the rear shock absorber and torque arm bracket.

Agreed, we shouldn't be posting copies of copyrighted info, here, without express written permission from the publisher (and I doubt you'll get that from the subject club). HOWEVER, it's perfectly legal for anyone to discuss the details of copyrighted material in ANY venue, provided they properly cite/credit the source.

WRT to use of 56th Series bracket, SSB No. 340 advises that as a replacement for the original 55th Series design. Using the parts specified therein, the only other modification required is the position of the lower shock eye, relative to the bracket.

While this bracket also serves as the anchor for the U-bolt and details, a failure in that regard should be no more common (or hazardous) than a broken U-bolt on any other vehicle with rear leaf suspension. I'd like to think that I'd find evidence of a potetnial problem in the course of replacing the dry-rotted, decades-old bushings myself - unless a someone previously cut some corners that they should not have.

Though less technical in nature, I found the DVD from Motor City Packards, "An Interview With William D. Allison", gave me plenty of bank for my buck.

Posted on: 2011/12/31 10:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That one had apparently been loose for some time to have sustained the amount of damage. Broken in half and one of the U bolts pulled thru.

Since so many of the 55 brackets seem to have had an issue needing welding repair at some time, what was done differently on the 56. Don't think I ever looked at them side by side but maybe Craig did and posted his findings.

Anyone know the difference offhand and more to the point are 56 brackets changed enough to have the issues resolved??

Posted on: 2011/12/31 11:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
The 1955 shock bracket is the broken one on the right, 1956 on the left. You can't see it in this picture, but the 1956 bracket has a closed over and welded end, the 1955 is open, hence the 1956 is a MUCH stronger design.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2011/12/31 12:18
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I removed the torque arms, sandblasted and painted them and do not recall any specific danger? I replaced all the rubber bushings at that time. It is documented in my blog. I was a little confused by the PAC article, but thought it was basically a good write-up. You may want to check this out:
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=205&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=300

Posted on: 2011/12/31 18:21
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved