Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

EMBLEM QUESTION
Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Does this emblem from the front bumper of my 54 Clipper come apart so it can be painted?

Attach file:

jpg  (84.95 KB)
3889_4f0b9eae17a5f.jpg 1280X720 px

Posted on: 2012/1/9 21:13
 Top  Print   

Re: EMBLEM QUESTION
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you mean the top center of grill, No. There should be a stainless steel holder in the crest shape with two or three studs which go into the pot metal. The emblem is a solid piece of painted or plated plastic which fits inside that holder. I don't know what kind of paint is used on those or if it's one of the plastic plating processes. Ordinary enamel and lacquer paints go on nicely and look decent from the back but are very dull when viewed thru the plastic the normal way from the front. I've tried plastic model paint and several lacquers but none looked worth a crap.

Every blue moon or so one of the vendors will have them reproduced. I don't believe there are any available at the moment although Max says inquire. Emblem Magic said they were out of stock as well with no real information given as to when a new run will be made. Website says orders placed today for not in stock items may be available in Autumn 2012--but that may be doubtful because they appear to be already late on November 2011 delivery.

Posted on: 2012/1/9 21:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
It's a piece of clear plastic that is painted in reverse on the backside, the and a final coat of gray is painted over the back.

They can be repainted, the problem is removing all the old paint without damaging the underlying clear plastic.

Reproductions are available.

Posted on: 2012/1/9 21:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information

Posted on: 2012/1/9 22:56
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
i think reproductions are only $125

Posted on: 2012/1/9 23:09
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Where can I get a reproduction?

Posted on: 2012/1/9 23:34
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I know this place had them, but I know there was another place, I just can't find it at the moment. I know that McVee's Cadillac also did a run of these, but they don't list them on their website anymore.

http://www.emblemagic.com/packard.htm

Posted on: 2012/1/10 0:16
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
The emblems were NOT painted on the reverse side, they were vacuum plated. If you look at a nice new original one you can tell the difference from paint.The silver looks like chrome and the red and gold have a shine to them also. I have had no luck either trying to repaint bad sections. The vendor mentioned just above had a lot of complaints about the coloring and quality of his emblems. I suspect he just quit having them made.

Posted on: 2012/1/10 8:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As I mentioned in my earlier post re Emblemagic, they are listed as 0 available and if you check the eta, Autumn 2012 is estimated for orders already in hand. They were $225 when their web entry was made.

Posted on: 2012/1/10 10:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Thanks for the education on vacuum plating Packards1, the process certainly turned out a classy Packard "shield". The trunk emblem on my car has been replaced with a reproduction and it looks good but only time will tell how it holds up. The grill emblem is original like the posted photo however it's black in color and matches the emblems that are mounted in the body side mouldings. The colors appear to be fine however exposure has taken its toll on the plastic and caused cracks which distort the appearance...I think plastics were in their infancy in those days so 60 years isn't too shabby...

Posted on: 2012/1/10 13:31
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved