Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 153

BigKev, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

engine numbers and codes
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
On filling out my renewed membership letter from the Packard Club I was checking the numbers on the car. My 51 is a 200 four door sedan, originally turquoise blue light. On the data plate on the door, it reads 2492 (base model) then I8926. Any idea as to what the second number means?

Also, while working on installing the radio, I found a brass metal tag under the dash, about 2 inches long with these numbers:
"429193 MC", then on the second line "P" and "D".

The theft proof number is A87238.

Any suggestions? thanks

Posted on: 2012/2/25 17:20
 Top  Print   

Re: engine numbers and codes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
David,

2492 represents the model number for your car. Per a resource manual I have here at the house, you car was a 4 door - 6 passenger sedan from Packard's standard (entry level) line of cars. Also within the standard line were two other models, 2495 ( 2 door - 6 passenger club sedan ) and 2498 ( 2 door - 3 passenger business coupe). The source (Standard Catalog of American Cars) indicates that approximately 24,310 standard line cars were produced. No breakout of how many of each model (s) is available, but IMHO I think that far fewer 2495's and 2498's were made that your 2492.

The second number is the sequential number for your model's production. Don't let that "I" trouble you in the number. That was Packard's way on denoting the number "1". I believe that the first car produced in your run would have been 2492-I0001. I think your car was 8,926 car produced that year for that model.

Reference the radio tag. Great question, I'm sure some other fellows here can guide you with that one.

Hope this helps a little.

Posted on: 2012/2/25 18:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
thanks Kevin - for clarification, the tag was attached to the dash - the car had the radio delete plate and I installed a 51 radio I bought on Ebay.

Posted on: 2012/2/25 22:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
429193 is the front seat spring cushion listed under group 30.908. Perhaps the tag came loose from the seat spring and whoever found it stuck it on the radio delete tag?

Posted on: 2012/2/26 0:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
excellent bit of sleuthing Randy. The tag must have fallen off some time in the past. I looked it up in the parts book and it is the spring cushion for a 2462-92, 2562-92 and a 2662-92, or a 51/52/53 four door. My question is how did you know that? Is there a reverse lookup index out there? thanks

Posted on: 2012/2/26 11:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My question is how did you know that? Is there a reverse lookup index out there?

Most if not all Packard parts manuals from at least the mid-30s thru the end have an numerical index by part number which gives you the corresponding group# or page on which that number appears. In the 48-54 parts manual that list is at the very end.

Posted on: 2012/2/26 11:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

David Grubbs wrote:
...Is there a reverse lookup index out there?...

The last section of the 48-54 Parts Manual is the Index of part numbers. The part numbers are related back to the Group Code so you can look up the application.

Attach file:

jpg  (112.57 KB)
188_4f4a5b99b8d20.jpg 1105X676 px

Posted on: 2012/2/26 11:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
thanks - another lesson learned!

Posted on: 2012/2/26 22:04
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved