Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
77 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 77

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Home Made Packard Parts
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

eightinline
See User information
I thought you all might enjoy the repair job someone did on the two front door strikes. It took me a second to figure out what I was looking at, but someone had carefully cut a replacement from a piece of aluminum with a band saw.

It worked well, it did not cause a problem closing or opening the passenger door. The driver's door mechanism did not work as the catch had been used so many time the very end had wore off.

Attach file:

jpg  (68.14 KB)
4425_4f86d8a3cec4a.jpg 1200X803 px

Posted on: 2012/4/12 8:29
 Top  Print   

Re: Home Made Packard Parts
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What year? If style the insert was used wonder if the Nylon insert was unavailable, or if the guy was more of an "I can do that type" or just had more aluminum & time than money. It is a pretty neat job though and maybe more durable than Nylon.

Posted on: 2012/4/12 9:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
man thats pretty neat. thanks for sharing!

Posted on: 2012/4/12 10:40
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Probably cut section from a gear.

Posted on: 2012/4/12 11:37
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

eightinline
See User information
They are off of a 54 Cavelier HH56 and look very hand made. They seamed to work pretty good but I wonder if they may have a slightly harsher sound when in use than the plastic ones.

The person who owned the car was definitely a do it yourselfer or knew a buddy who could "fix it". The sway bar had been welded together and secured to one side with a questionable method using some small screws and what looked to be Erector Set parts.

Posted on: 2012/4/17 8:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don 37
See User information
Here are a couple of pictures of part I made for my 1953 Henney Jr when I drove it every day to work. I had a spare carburetor but it was missing this one part. So I made it from the original. It lost a little detail in the lettering but it's mating surface was a lot flatter than the original. The material I used was kirksite which is about 99% zinc. fairly close to the die cast material used in the actual part. I have about a hour and a half total in labor.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.60 KB)
1153_4f8e165e8680f.jpg 529X600 px

jpg  (24.65 KB)
1153_4f8e166950e46.jpg 476X600 px

Posted on: 2012/4/17 20:19
1936 and 1937 120's Are what we like best. But we also like all other Packards too.

Don 37'
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Nice. Regular sandcasting? Has anyone tried the high temp pourable silicone materials that are supposed to be good to zinc temp? Been debating on an item whether sand or biting the bullet and buying silicone.

Posted on: 2012/4/17 20:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don 37
See User information
was made by sand-casting using jeweler's sand, finer grained sand than whats used mostly. The Cope and drag is about 3 X 5 inches sizewise. I have also done several things using the lost wax process. I would made a reusable mold to make the wax patterns. Then I would use a centrifugal casting machine. To throw the molten metal into the mold, after the wax was burned out of the mold. Used this for Gold and Silver items.

Posted on: 2012/4/17 20:36
1936 and 1937 120's Are what we like best. But we also like all other Packards too.

Don 37'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Very nice work!!! Superb!

Posted on: 2012/4/17 20:46
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

eightinline
See User information
That looks great Don, me and a buddy have been wondering what casting some zinc stuff would be like. We were thinking about trying the silicone method, but as with a lot of things time gets in the way.

Is it fairly durable? What is "pot metal", or the material that our hood ornaments and such made from?

Posted on: 2012/4/18 8:49
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved