Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
68 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 67

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

headflight switch wiring questions
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

harrybar
See User information
I have the original headlight switch in my 1947 Deluxe Clipper. There is a circuit breaker in it that protects the headlight and park lights wiring.
1.Can I rely on this CB after all these years or should I add a fuse into the circuit? Also, I need to wire in my fog lights.
2.Should I power the fog light switch from the same headlight switch terminal that goes to the high/low switch for the headlights?
3.Is it normal to have the fog lights and headlights on at the same time?

Posted on: 2012/4/28 9:06
 Top  Print   

Re: headflight switch wiring questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Harrybar:

By the 22nd series they were putting a separate switch on the dash for fog lights so that should be a clue because the fog light function was separate from the headlights.

If you want the lights to do something rather than just glow I would go for a fused relay taking it's feed directly from the battery with coil feed from the panel lights and a switch to ground.

This way you won't be taxing any of the old switches and wiring. Fused relays for the headlights and park lights would also increase performance as those old switches need some relief.

Posted on: 2012/4/28 9:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Haven't seen a schematic specifically for 46-7 accessories but here is one for 41-2 Clippers showing how they did the lights. Since switches are the same, would think it might be applicable.

It would appear the fog lights were independent of headlights but tail lights were on via either switch. I would also add a relay to control them rather than rely on an old switch. Same with headlights -- I would be tempted to take the load out of the switch.

IMHO, if you keep it stock with no relays, it's going to be hard to do much without using the original circuit breaker since it is integral with switch -- not like the later ones where it was a stand alone assembly. If you are going to go modern, I would suggest using another circuit breaker such as the stand alone version used later -- not a fuse. Believe headlights were 20 amp. Make sure it's the type I or self resetting style. That way if there is a problem, lights will flash on and off rather than just quit completely as they would with a fuse or type II or III breaker.

As an added attraction, the fuses on back of headlight switch, one of which would feed the fog lights per factory drawing could possibly be replaced with circuit breakers -- if there is room side to side and type I style is available. I haven't used one but there are breakers which fit in some regular style fuse holders but do require extra space to the side. Both breakers shown are available at Napa as well as most good auto parts places. The standalone type is first breaker photo and the glass fuse replacement is the second.

Attach file:

jpg  (54.46 KB)
209_4f9c01cb6ed65.jpg 782X896 px

jpg  (14.28 KB)
209_4f9c01d2cde0f.jpg 354X373 px

jpg  (13.17 KB)
209_4f9c03df9b96e.jpg 319X362 px

Posted on: 2012/4/28 9:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

harrybar
See User information
Thank you for the help.
I ordered 6 volt relays for the headlights and fog lights from Chevs of the 40s.
Each fog light drew 5 amps when I tested them.
I bought H6006 Halogen headlight bulbs.
Each low beam drew 6 amps and
each high beam drew 7 amps when I tested the lights wired directly to the battery. I will replace the headlight sockets, too. I thought they would draw more current, but they were bright
I will mount the relays on the firewall near the voltage regulator.

Attach file:

jpg  (8.51 KB)
4479_4f9c7c63b9d42.jpg 300X290 px

Posted on: 2012/4/28 18:25
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved