Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 164

Tom (Packin31), happy, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

ebay door and trunk weatherstripping
Just popping in
Just popping in

Wayne Atkinson
See User information
I am getting tired of the air noise and water leaks and need new weatherstripping on my 1952 300. I have looked in the suppliers catalogs for the items I need. I noticed on ebay that someone is selling the items I need for a lot less money than the normal suppliers. Has anyone had any experience with the ebay items? I don't want to install junk, but I wouldn't mind saving a few dollars either. Thanks, Wayne

Posted on: 2008/5/2 4:15
 Top  Print   

Re: ebay door and trunk weatherstripping
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't know if they'd give you any info as to mfg, but I have used stuff from JC Whitney and also from another rubber co (think it was Metro) a few yrs ago. Both fit as advertised, but the Whitney stuff deteriorated rather quickly in the summer heat and the other was somewhat hard to start with and seemed to have difficulty seating in. IMHO, Steele is the best way to go but having said that, I know they are expensive. I believe some of the vendors buy at wholesale from them and vary a bit in price so maybe it's OK.

Posted on: 2008/5/2 8:59
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tom Wolt
See User information
A.E. Medeiros (80 Freetown St. Lakeville) is one of those e-bay sellers. I ordered weatherstrips for my Packard Convertible 1951 (trunk and door), but both didn't fit. I agreed to send it back, but they say they never received them and I never got my money back.

So, I suggest you don't by from them.

Tom Wolt
The Netherlands

Posted on: 2008/5/9 14:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
For what it's worth, I bought the rubber for the trunk from that Ebay seller (A. E. Madeiros). It wasn't an exact replacement, but it was certainly acceptable.

The price was reasonable and he did send me a small sample of the door rubber, whick looks like it might work ok.

Posted on: 2008/5/10 9:32
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Wayne Atkinson
See User information
Thank you for that information. That helps my decision. Wayne

Posted on: 2008/5/12 5:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Though I've had more than one occasion to gulp at the prices, if you want the most exact duplicate of the original stuff in high quality, you'll not be disappointed with what you buy from Steele Rubber. Oats that has been through the horse once is always cheaper.

Posted on: 2008/5/12 8:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
May I second that? I've bought two different Steele Rubber products, and they have both been perfect. I would say that with Steele you may get *more* than you paid for.

I used Steele Rubber when I replaced my two split windshields. The rubber was live, elastic and strong. Easy to work with.

If I had an unlimited (or even reasonably high) budget I'd never shop anywhere else. Sorry to say I don't!

Jay

Posted on: 2008/5/13 13:24
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved