Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 164

Big Ben, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Packard Commentary - Detroit News
Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Here is a link to a commentary in the July 12, 2012 edition of the Detroit News.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120712/OPINION01/207120330/Commentary-Save-Packard-Plant?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|p

My personal belief is that this will go nowhere. I like his enthusiasm, but no one will save the PMCC Building.

Did you catch the comment that, "Macauley and his chief engineer, Jesse Vincent, had never made aircraft engines in their lives." Yet, in the photo section, #16 of 50 there is a photo of Walter Lees in the cockpit of a DR-980 powered aircraft? Not even mentioning the Liberty engine.

Thought you would like to know what is going on in the Motor City.

Posted on: 2012/7/12 8:19
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard Commentary - Detroit News
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
I have to agree with you, Roger. The time to save the Packard plant was BEFORE it started falling into ruin, not after.

There are other monuments to the automotive industry in Detroit that are also falling apart due to neglect.

Posted on: 2012/7/12 8:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
yeah it wont go anywhere and they wont tear it down anytime soon either.

great fantasy though.

Posted on: 2012/7/12 8:37
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Recently heard an item on NPR about the old Studebaker plant site, noting the 50th anniversary of the firm leaving South Bend. Some talk about the event as if it recently happened and recount the impact on those that worked there.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/7/12 10:26
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information
JW,

I heard the same report on the Studebaker facility. As I recall some high tech firms were very interested in moving to the site due to the infrastructure that exists.

Roger, thanks for keepig us abreast of the happenings in my old home town. I think the article is about 20 years too late. At least the executive office building could have been saved and restored then (ala ACD in Auburn, IN).

Posted on: 2012/7/12 10:55
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved