Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
182 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 181

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Best lifted working position for Patrician
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dan A
See User information
Ok, so hopefully a simple safe answer here.

I would like to know folks ideas for elevating my 55 Patrician in order to get under it to work on things like dropping the oil pan, sanding the rust and dirt off etc. Here is my situation:

I'd like to keep it elevated for more than the 1 to 2 hr increments that I have time to work on it(possibly weeks at a time). I have 4year twin boys that frequent the garage to get into my wife's car so safety is the most important aspect.

I have the torsion leveling so do I need to take any care there?(car doesn't have battery).

Would like ideas for the longer time period of lifting and also for just a couple hours of lift time.

I saw these and they looked good:http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_12000-gvw-ramp-rhino-gear_10157441-p?searchTerm=ramp

Posted on: 2012/7/18 14:27
 Top  Print   

Re: Best lifted working position for Patrician
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Others may differ but I don't like plastic ramps no matter how good the rating. I prefer good solid jack stands.

My car has been on and off stands for months at a time over the last two years (front end has currently been on them for the last couple of months now) while I've been messing with my power brake adaption, the AC and other things an hour or two at a time when in the mood. I feel it was in complete safety the whole time as I crawled under, leaned over the fender (standing on a stool) and sat inside. Of course, if we have an earthquake here I might revise that opinion.

I do mine by placing the front ones under the frame just behind the point where the frame bifurcates and curves upward -- about even with the front of door opening. The rear is done by jacking up the differential and placing another set under the axle tubes out toward the ends near the torque arm attaching points. Used a large floor jack in the heavy support toward front of engine and under the differential to do one end at a time. My 6 ton "heavy duty" Harbor Freight stands (if there is such a thing as heavy duty from HF) allow about 24+ inches comfortably. The front pair will be extended higher than the rear. They have a 12 ton pair that will extend higher. Those extended in front and 6 ton in rear under the axle would get the car almost 30 inches up. Downside is a bit more money up front than the ramps.

As long as the battery is out or TL turned off, no damage to suspension will occur. The front top rebound bumpers will be squashed with the wheels hanging down so if that is a concern, you might want to put a block of wood under the upper A arm to keep them from dropping all the way down.

Posted on: 2012/7/18 14:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
I've had my 1955 Patrician up on jack stands for nearly a year now. With the T-L system turned off, there is no danger of damage to that system. Insofar as your Patrician does not have a battery, there is clearly no danger to damaging the T-L system.

As for safety, as long as your jack stands are firmly positioned under the vehicle's frame, the vehicle is solid and you should have no problem with your 4-year old. I have a 9-year old grandson and a 5-year old granddaughter and I have no problems with them being in the garage looking at the car. It is quite solid.

Posted on: 2012/7/18 18:02
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

Dan A wrote:
I have the torsion leveling so do I need to take any care there?(car doesn't have battery).

It is true that while the battery is out there is no danger to the T-L System. However - If you are anything like me, in the excitement of the moment it can be difficult to remember everything. So - just to be on the safe side, I'd turn the T-L off at the dash switch.

The '55 Senior Owner's Manual doesn't show the switch as I found out, and Howard had to tell me where and how to find and work the switch. Just in case: It's a toggle switch under the far left side of the instrument panel. Moving the switch left (towards the door) turns the system off.

Good luck with your Patrician (excellent choice in automobiles). As another '55 Patrician caretaker, I will follow your postings with interest.

Posted on: 2012/7/18 19:33
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
When jacking up my Packards I place jack stands under the front suspension, at the outter ends of the lower 'A' arms, on the bottoms of the spindles. At the rear, I place the jack stands under the spring plates. This keeps the suspension loaded like it is on the ground. I place jack stands under the frame, just in front of the rear wheels, just before the rear axle kick up, if I need to remove the rear tires. For added safety and peace of mind, I place the floor jack at the front or rear jacking location, depending on which end of the car I am working on. None of my Packards have torsion level suspension, just conventional front coil and rear leaf springs. I add that jacking up a car and working under it is one of my least favorite things to do. Comments?

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/7/19 11:11
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved