Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
75 user(s) are online (46 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 73

Tobs, Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Trico Nu-Matic window washer pump kit
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Something I don't remember is if the 54 motors have the nipple for vacuum out in the same place or even at all. They did change motors in 54 but don't know what else besides angle and the casting having the mount for co-ordinator changed. Since the co-ordinator mounts in almost the same location as the old nipple, might get tight if in the usual spot.

If your motor is mounted so it's horizontal like 51-3 then probably not a 54 motor but if tilted then where is the nipple connecting to your washer. I can't tell much on this view of the 54 motor I borrowed from one of Kev's photos.

Attach file:

jpg  (14.61 KB)
209_50dce1068b603.jpg 648X189 px

Posted on: 2012/12/27 19:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
The wiper motor in my car sits horizontal like the 51-3 picture. There is the nipple for the washer off of the right side like in the picture.

I consulted the shop manual and under the accessories section there is a smallish drawing describing a single vacuum hose from the wiper motor to the washer pump and a single hose from the pump to the hole in the fire wall. My car still has a bit of single hose in the firewall hole.

The shop manual says to turn the wiper knob counter clockwise to charge the pump and then turn it clockwise to turn on the wipers and push the button to squirt water.

The question to be answered is if the pump I have will work with the wiper motor and control setup I have.

Jim

Posted on: 2012/12/28 10:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The instructions in my manual are for the first version 51 to mid 53 units. You must have a different version manual than I do since mine has no mention of a button. Those first version knobs did not have the center button and work as you describe by turning knob counter clockwise and then clockwise. As shown in the photo, the lid just had two hoses connecting -- one for vacuum supplied by the motor nipple when the knob was turned and the other for water out when knob was released.

Since you have a switch with the button and hear the solenoid click it will work in your car. You just won't have a co-ordinator. I do believe you will need to select another vacuum source to make it work properly and you will need to cap off the port on the lid which would go to the co-ordinator so there is no vacuum leak as it is squirting. There are vinyl thread protectors available in most hardware stores that work nicely as caps.

In mid 53 the electric solenoid version without co-ordinator was made available as evidenced by the parts listing for a first and second type cable switch assy having a drilled center in the knob. The 53 owners manual I have makes no mention of the solenoid type -- just the first version and turning the knob in both directions.

With a separate vacuum source, those second versions work as described in my post above. The vacuum supply is a question though and I don't think yours is correct for that lid. The nipple is present on the motor but in order to get washer to work you would both have to turn and hold the knob to activate the port while pushing and holding the button at the same time so vacuum would pass into pump. I don't think Packard would have put their owners thru that contortion. I believe the vacuum was separate with the electric units since there is a reference for a hose to vacuum Y connection in the breakdown parts.

There is a bit of discrepancy in the parts manual for the second type. The washer breakdown in accessories section details the second type without co-ordinator but make no mention of it for 26th series while the switch selection does. There also is no motor change for 26th series to accommodate the co-ordinator so it would indicate the second type washer without co-ordinator had to be used. I think parts manual listing of 54th series only is in error and that version should be listed for 26th series. It might have carried over and been available as a lower cost dealer installed option in 54.

In 54 the co-ordinator was apparently made standard. A different motor with the casting to accommodate the co-ordinator is in the parts manual. Reference to turning the knob at all was omitted in the owners manual for both Packard and Clippers with just pushing the button to start washer and wipers being mentioned.

Attach file:

jpg  (12.08 KB)
209_50ddc4b590096.jpg 247X308 px

jpg  (7.38 KB)
209_50ddd1babc7f6.jpg 321X268 px

Posted on: 2012/12/28 11:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
I read through all of the posts on this topic and I thank you for the information.

My 54 Packard Cavalier has the windshield wiper knob on the left side of the steering column with the button in the center, original equipment.

This car is late 54 but has the non-gear start Ultramatic transmission.

My Trico Washer Pump fits the description of the MAG-NU-MATIC Hydrostatic version, which has the 6 volt solenoid on top and another valve for the coordinator hookup. The button does activate the solenoid.

My wiper motor does not have the coordinator.

I ordered the Pump rebuild kit from McVeys Cadillac and I believe this pump will work with just the seals replaced, if not I will do the internal valves as well which come in the kit.

I figure I will need to "tee" the vacuum connection between the wiper motor and the pump.

Am I correct in assuming that when I push the button on the knob, this allows vacuum to lift the pump piston to the top. Releasing the button allows the spring to push the piston down spraying water on the windshield. Each button push gives one pump stroke, not continuous pumping.

I don't quite follow how the coordinator part is supposed to work (if I had the correct motor), and if my car should have this version. I thought possibly the coordinator operated the wipers while water was spraying?

Has anybody seen one of these in operation?

Thanks, Jim

Posted on: 2013/1/15 12:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I thought possibly the coordinator operated the wipers while water was spraying?

Correct.

Has anybody seen one of these in operation?

Sure, many times. It's a pretty slick and reliable feature, not unique to Packard.

Posted on: 2013/1/15 12:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
So as I'm starting to understand;

I push the button and water squirts and the wipers activate like magic (or my Toyota :) Or if I just want wipers I turn the knob.

This coordinator thing either operates the valve on the wiper motor or actually moves the wipers, I can't quite make out the assembly in the picture.

This will require me to find a different wiper motor if I want the full effect.

I was aware the Trico stuff was used on most every car of the era, the ones I drove as a kid didn't have all the features.

Been driving the Packard all week as the Phoenix AZ temperature is in the 20's (Instead of my usual motorcycle).

Jim

Posted on: 2013/1/15 15:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You will need the motor with the mounting slots and casting for the co-ordinator bracket and cable assy. There is also a small cast piece held by a screw which holds part of the assy on the motor. The co-ordinator just moves the motor vacuum slide on/off valve -- not the wipers themselves.

When you turn on the wipers manually the knob cable moves the valve slide. Since they are attached together, the slide also pulls on the co-ordinator so it moves in it's bracket along with the slide. When the washer controls things, the co-ordinator moves the valve. A piston extends a small wire cable to move the slide. Because of the way the knob cable is attached, that cable does not interfere with the co-ordinator's on action.

Attach file:

jpg  (15.73 KB)
209_50f5dff858008.jpg 640X264 px

Posted on: 2013/1/15 16:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
As I like to have all the fun gadgets working, I have become obsessive with this feature.

After doing forensics, I have started to conclude my car was not equipped with the Coordinator as the bracket the wiper motor is mounted to on the firewall has the two mounting posts set level whereas the coordinator version has them set at an angle (lower on the right). The bracket may be riveted to the firewall and it is the center point to the cable mechanism under the dash and looks like it would be very difficult to change.

As I dig into this, it appears the Coordinator materialized later in 1954. My car was sold new by the dealer in Nov of 54 but it does not have the features of late 54 such as gear start, noting these cars were not selling well.

No doubt it had the washer originally as the control with the center button is original to the car.

My pump parts should show up in the mail and this weekend I will do the rebuild and see if I can have a working washer for my amusement.

The rubber tubing under the dash is there but petrified so I need to replace that as well.

The pictures you all have provided are of great value and I thank you.

Jim

Posted on: 2013/1/16 12:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It's going to be interesting what you determine and guess anything is possible since it appears yours is an early build.

According to the parts manual, the motor and the firewall mount piece was changed for 54 & was the same in all cars with or without a washer. No mention of a first or second version like there was with the switch in 53.

Since they were supposed to be all the same motor in 54 I'm also wondering if someone had a problem. Maybe the proper motor or maybe the firewall part was broken and one or the other was difficult to find at the time. Possibly to get a working wiper the entire assy had to be changed - probably from a parts car.

Posted on: 2013/1/16 15:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
The rest of the story:

I got the cheaper pump kit from McVey Cadillac and replaced the seals on the plunger and the solenoid valve seals of my Trico pump. I added a Tee to split the vacuum at the wiper motor.

I installed the pump back in the Baby and hooked it up . . .

I push and hold the little button on the wiper control knob for about 2 seconds and then when I release it water squirts.

I haven't actually tried pumping water through to the windshield but I replaced the rubber tubing under the dash and the spray nozzles are clear. Waiting for non-freeze weather.

The pictures and information were of great help including the rebuild instructions found on Packard Info site.

Thanks all,

Jim

Posted on: 2013/1/22 19:28
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved