Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 134

JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Trico Nu-Matic window washer pump kit
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
Is there a source of rebuild parts for the Trico Nu-Matic washer pump?

This would be the Mason Jar type.

My pump seems to be complete no rust, although the rubber parts are petrified.

Jim

Posted on: 2012/12/26 15:54
 Top  Print 

Re: Trico Nu-Matic window washer pump kit
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I can't specifically help with a source for kits but McVey's (the Cadillac parts company) did for many years offer complete rebuilding of Trico washer pumps - they did mine some 15 years ago. I don't see this service listed on their website but it was shown for years on their ads in print - you might call them.

Another possibility for rebuilding your unit is Ficken (www.wiperman.com), they were a factory authorized Trico dealer for decades. They offer a rebuilding service but specifically say on their site that they DO NOT sell kits.

http://www.mcveys.com

Posted on: 2012/12/26 16:26
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
McVeys did sell kits at one time but their current listings just show new bare lids and some jars. Might be worth a phone call to see if they still have complete kits. They do still list it on their price list. Windshield washer pump rebuild kit, standard $54, deluxe (with lid) $86

Tucson Packards also had rebuild kits at one time. Not apparent on their new ebay store so don't know if they still do or just don't list all their merchandise.

If you do find a kit, Kev has posted an excellent how to writeup.

Posted on: 2012/12/26 16:41
Howard
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I bought my rebuild kit from McVeys. Please keep in mind you are going to need a hand rivet setting punch, and something to back up the rivets with. Also, you are trying to attach 50 year old brittle plastic parts with metal rivets. If you are not comfortable with attempting yourself, then send it out and have it rebuilt. Cause one bad hit and that plastic is toast.

Posted on: 2012/12/26 17:27
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rich Bishop
See User information
My 53 Clipper did not come with a washer, but I added one successfully. My sources are as follows:

Washer Jet Nozzles: eBay

Washer Jar: McVey's

Bracket: Ross Miller, sandblasted and powdercoated silver by a local outfit.

Pump/Jar lid assembly(Vaccum Only) and it is just like new: Tucson Packard. They had both in stock at the time, about 18 months to 2 yrs ago.

Tubing and fittings: Various supply sources

Posted on: 2012/12/26 17:47
[color=0099FF]Respectfully,
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
Some more questions about the wiper / washer setup on my 54 Packard Cavalier . . . .

The Trico wiper motor is mounted to the firewall under the hood.

The wiper control on the steering column controls a slide valve on the wiper motor through one of those steel slide cables. There is a rubber hose coming from the valve that goes to the Trico washer pump. I believe the washer unit currently in my Packard is called a Mag-Nu-Matic Hydrostatic.

I don't know if this is the correct combination of parts.

This pump unit has a wide lid on a wide jar with the 6 volt solenoid valve along with another square valve unit with two hose connections on top of the lid. The vacuum is connected to the solenoid. There is a little rubber hose connecting these two valves. An information sheet I found on the web claims a coordinator hooks up to the valve with the water outlet.

I'm not sure this is the original setup I'm guessing either the wiper motor or washer pump may not be original.

My car has the nozzles and tubing is under the dash coming out to the washer pump.

A button on the wiper knob triggers the washer by applying 6 volts to the pump solenoid, so the pump would pump washer fluid as long as the wiper is on and the button is pushed.

Maybe one of the experts can tell me if this combination is correct. I did locate a source for the rubber parts in the pump.

I assume if the wipers are on and one pushes that button the pump will run continuous until the button is released.

My wiper motor does work BTW.

Jim

Posted on: 2012/12/27 15:29
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The washer jar mounts on a bracket on the driver's side inner fender. To function as designed, you will also need the wiper coordinator. When is a can shape gizmo that is mounted neat the wiper motor.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 15:49
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Perhaps this illustration from the 55/56 parts manual will help. A couple of very minor differences in 1954, especially with regard to the dual-vacuum source in 1955/56 (lower left of illustration) but otherwise pretty much the same.

Attach file:

jpg  (120.49 KB)
177_50dcc162d7bdb.jpg 1280X908 px

Posted on: 2012/12/27 16:45
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe there were 3 washer assemblies used from 51-4. Hard to say how they might have been mixed and mated.

The first type just had a vacuum hose into the lid and water out hose. It was operated by turning the knob backwards and in doing so opened the port on wiper motor to vacuum so the washer piston could charge a fill of water. Turning the valve the opposite direction started the wipers and allowed the water to discharge via the spring on piston.

The second type available starting in mid 53 & had the push button in center of wiper button. Pushing and holding that allowed the solenoid to open and let vacuum draw the piston up to charge the water. Releasing the button let the water discharge. I believe you also had to turn the knob to start the wipers. Vacuum for the washer came via a tee or Y connection in the vacuum supply line to the motor but not off the motor as previous units had done since that port is only active when the knob is turned backwards against a spring.

The third type was very similar to the second. Also had a vacuum connection to motor supply side hose. It worked with the knob button but in addition had the co-ordinator which attaches to the wiper motor. Upon releasing the washer button, water discharged and in doing so passes and works a diaphragm in a section of the washer. That diaphragm being moved by the water pressure allows vacuum to pass on to the co-ordinator which moves it's piston and starts the motor. Once the water is exhausted the diaphragm moves back to it's normal position cutting off the vacuum to the co-ordinator. Via an air bleed screw the co-ordinator spring slowly shuts the motor off after a few more sweeps. Packard suggested adjusting the bleed screw for 11 sweeps or roughly the same amount of sweeps after as was present while water was spraying.

Here is a photo of the co-ordinator and a 12v lid designed for use with the co-ordinator. It has the co-ordiantor vacuum port supply from the solenoid into one side of the water diaphragm section and outlet next to the water outlet. 54 6 volt lids designed for co-ordinator were identical except the cap over the solenoid was black. It sounds as if you have the type unit designed for a co-ordinator. I believe those units without co-ordinator were similar in looks but only had a vacuum port in to the solenoid and the water outlet.

If you have a co-ordinator lid but nothing to attach to the port, be sure and cap the port so as to eliminate a vacuum leak that would be present while water is flowing.

Attach file:

jpg  (13.90 KB)
209_50dcc5475396c.jpg 345X274 px

jpg  (30.91 KB)
209_50dcc55065fd6.jpg 574X640 px

Posted on: 2012/12/27 17:05
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
A wealth of information and a picture is worth the 1000 words as advertised.

I have the push button in the center of the wiper knob version located on the left side of the steering column. My car is late 54 but not a Gear start Ultramatic.

My wiper motor has a hose connection from the side of the motor valve opposite the vacuum in connection and it could well be that turning the wiper knob backwards admits vacuum to the washer. I haven't checked this to determine when vacuum is present at the washer but soon I will. Pushing the button does click the washer solenoid.

My car came with the washer pump-in- the-jar unit mounted as stated to the splash in its bracket. The top of my pump is similar to the one in the picture.

As I recall the control cable to the wiper motor connects to the side of the wiper motor similar to where that coordinator is connected in the picture. I don't have the coordinator thing.

The next step is to get the pump to work and figure out what may have been changed.

My car was still being driven by its original owner in 1991 and I expect wiper motor had to be replaced a few times.

Thanks,

Jim

Posted on: 2012/12/27 18:27
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved