Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 205

Zach Dillinger, Packard Don, Ernie Vitucci, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

Re: Thief-proof (body dash) numbers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
According to the factory build slips only two 56 Caribbeans came with the dash and underseat heaters, #s 1119 and 1230 though no doubt some owners have added them later. The original issue was clearance under the seat structure which apparently was not anticipated when the late change was made to new-for-1956 front seat.

Posted on: 2013/2/4 18:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
According to the factory build slips only two 56 Caribbeans came with the dash and underseat heaters, #s 1119 and 1230...

HEUH (Fresh Air Heater, Defroster and Front Underseat Heater) was initially shown as STANDARD equipment for Caribbean models on Trade Letter 56-1001, Dealer 1 - undated, but effective with first shipment of 56th Series cars. HE (Fresh Air Heater and Defroster) was then available as a factory-installed OPTION on the Clipper line only, since it was STANDARD equipment on all other Seniors. UH (Front Underseat Heater) could be specified separately, as an option, for vehicles with AC (Air Conditioning, which included HE) EXCEPT Caribbean models, where it was standard equipment (part of HEUH).

It appears that dealers were officially notified, by Trade Letter 56-1001, Dealer 1, Supplement 2, that both HEUH and UH were not available for Caribbeans - effective May 2, 1956. HE was now shown as STANDARD equipment for those models.

Based on my examination of a handful of examples, only those codes for OPTIONAL equipment are shown on production records. That is, codes for standard equipment on the Caribbeans - like GS, PB, RUA, BU, PS, WL, etc. - are NOT printed on the production order.

In fact, besides choice of paint, trim and rear axle ratio, the only TWO option codes shown on the order for for my Hardtop #1135 are SF (Solex Glass, with shaded windshield) and PL (Power Lock, aka - Twin Traction Differential). I have copies of records for two other convertibles models, which show same.

Seems to me, then, that none of the heater equipment codes should have appeared on ANY order for a 56th Series Caribbean, as they were all either standard or not available for those models, depending on the build date.

Do the documents for 1119 and 1230 show RPO codes for HEUH or some sort of special request number or handwritten notation?

I'm sure other inquiring minds want to know.

Posted on: 2013/2/4 21:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
Information from the build sheets in question

1119 was AC SF PL sent to Wendall Hawkins in Houston TX
1230 was 3.54 SF PL sent to Mack Auto Service Painesville OH

Posted on: 2013/2/5 19:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Thank you for the build sheet info on those cars, 56executive.

Yet, I'm still left wondering how "build slips" show that these two cars (and only these two) came from the factory with underseat heater equipment.

Posted on: 2013/2/5 19:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Quote:

JW wrote:
Interesting heater hose connection. I wonder what that is all about.

(o{}o)

Not sure which part you refer to but if the curved section at the heater box, that would be typical for a car with an underseat heater -- which 56 Caribbeans supposedly did not have. Randy's friend does have one in his Caribbean however.

Howard, I had never seen the hose routing for a V-8 with an underseat heater. Ironic in that we have been discussing, at length, the underseat heater hose routing for an earlier car. And, of course the unusual hose routing on the Caribbean now makes sense with the feed for the underseat unit coming off of the dash mounted unit.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/2/5 21:46
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The underseat heater routing for the V8s and parts required is in the shop manual.
I addition to the underseat heater, friend Chris also installed factory air and electric door locks on his Caribbean.

Posted on: 2013/2/5 21:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
The hose from heater to firewall does not look like what is shown in the service manual.

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/servicemanual5556/Sect3_Accessories.pdf

I hope OD added the firewall number to his data list.

Posted on: 2013/2/5 22:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Let the ride decide wrote:
The hose from heater to firewall does not look like what is shown in the service manual.

You're right and I may have jumped the gun assuming the big loop was for the UH. Can't quite see valve/heater box well enough to say it's just the wrong routing or if they have the heater totally blocked off or in a loop. The hose from water pump also appears to be going somewhere different. Maybe under or just looping the engine fittings? Anyone else care to add two cents?

At any rate, another demerit for a "restored museum car".

Attach file:

jpg  (65.81 KB)
209_5111cd54e6687.jpg 1035X583 px

Posted on: 2013/2/5 22:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Water pump to the back of the block?

Posted on: 2013/2/5 22:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just another reminder to regulars and newcomers, I'm still collecting and researching thief-proof numbers if they can be accompanied by vehicle numbers. Briggs number (41 thru 54), motor number if original to the car, and special notation if RHD or Canadian-built, Henney #s, is also useful information.

The database now includes data on just over 2600 cars. A few hundred of these are from original dealer records but most have been provided by folks like you readers. Send them by PM if you want to keep the information confidential. I appreciate all the responses, both yet to come and from many of you in the past.

Thief-proof number is the large embossed number near to the top on the engine side of cowl, enclosed by sideways triangles, e.g. <123456> except for early "juniors". The chart below summarizes the data collected thus far. The interesting part of the analysis of the raw data is trying to find correlations between the numbers and body-making and car production sequences, etc. The first two attempts at this kind of analysis have been published, still hoping to get more data - only about 1 million cars that I still don't have data on! As with most data analysis, the bulk of it is boring - it's the anomalies and curiosities that make it fun!

Attach file:

jpg  (99.09 KB)
177_516ecc0b5f408.jpg 687X856 px

Posted on: 2013/4/17 11:13
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved