Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
177 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 175

bkazmer, John O'Hara, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'48 Convertible (flood salvage) at auction
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andrew Armitage
See User information
I came across this '48 Conv't - flood damaged vehicle from NJ - being auctioned off by Copart with what appears to be no reserve.

Someone might be able to pick up a decent project for a reasonable price. If I didn't have three running projects as it is, I might be interested!

http://www.autobidmaster.com/carfinder-online-auto-auctions/lot/28739662/COPART_1948_PACKARD_PACKARD_CERT_OF_TITLE-SALVAGE_FLOOD_SOMERVILLE_NJ/

Posted on: 2013/2/24 15:38
Andrew Armitage
Plainfield, IL
'47 Packard Custom Super Clipper Eight Limousine
'41 Cadillac Sixty-Seven Series
'40 Buick Limited
 Top  Print   

Re: '48 Convertible (flood salvage) at auction
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Link didn't work for me....

Posted on: 2013/2/24 20:09
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Works ok for me.

Posted on: 2013/2/24 22:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
When I was at the GM Tech they had flood cars that were used for study.

At one time I tried to interest insurance companies in a process to remove the water and moisture from flood vehicles. They couldn't care less. It didn't involve office politics and so is rather alien.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 9:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The companies that clean up property after a flood always say they can work miracles but I wonder how successful an automobile flood restoration would be. Like drywall and anything soft in a house that gets damaged or is subject to mold, it would seem like you would almost have to change everything in a car as well for the same reason. Some of the hard items that were never rustproofed or could be subject to corrosion (wiring connections or electronics) would also have to go or always be a worry.

Out here the papers have a big circulation or ratings story every time someplace else has a flood. Dire warnings to consumers that unscrupulous people in the affected areas are placing "flood damaged" autos in the loose and many have entered the market. Warnings to beware and be suspect of any great used car deals and then goes on to have someone's first hand experience with a bad car.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 10:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andrew Armitage
See User information
I'm sure that all the major mechanical components would need to be torn down and rebuilt and any wiring should be replaced. But that's really no different than any other 50 year old restoration project. At least the car is complete and the sheet metal, chrome, and trim is all there in pretty decent condition.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 14:57
Andrew Armitage
Plainfield, IL
'47 Packard Custom Super Clipper Eight Limousine
'41 Cadillac Sixty-Seven Series
'40 Buick Limited
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The process I wanted to put into practice involved using altitude decompression. If you put a car into outerspace I guarantee there will be not moisture left in it. The insurance companies don't care about loss mitigation because they would rather just raise the rates. Raising rates is more profitable than loss mitigation. Even more profitable than that is denial of claims as is happening in the northeast.

After that a comprehensive lube service would be required, including cables and the speedometer, but things like wiring would be okay.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 17:05
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved