Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 212

Scott, series014, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

56 "Four-Hundred" with 1955 Front Seat Shell
Home away from home
Home away from home

John McCall and Mitch Parker
See User information
Hello 55-56 sleuths! Currently on E-Bay is a 1956 "Four-Hundred" with a late production serial number and verified by the "Flamingo" body color. However, note that the front seat shell is clearly that of a 1955 model--down to the power seat control and the "Body by Packard" shield...and on to the robe rail, etc. More interesting is the fact that the actual seat cushions have the correct 1956 sew style! I have written the seller; it will be interesting to see what feedback he gives on this anomalie. Was Packard just out of the correct shells in 56 with some 55's on hand? I have heard of such!

Posted on: 2013/3/6 11:12
1956 Packard Caribbean Convertible
1956 Packard Patrician Touring Sedan
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
1949 Custom Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: 56 "Four-Hundred" with 1955 Front Seat Shell
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Since the car has a "TV history" I'd wonder if the seats were original -- or maybe something grabbed from a junkyard and predone for the show. Possibly some bad research?? It might have even been changed earlier in the car's use if someone damaged the upholstery or seat. I can think of a local car that very thing happened to. A power cord for something he had plugged into the cigar lighter shorted and burned a nice line and cord circle pattern in the center of the seat. The owner just changed the whole seat with one from a parts car.

I notice another discrepancy in the description. It doesn't look like a dual 4 barrel setup to me.

Wonder what brand the AC is. First one I can recall seeing of all the various interiors posted that has a full width louver across the top of the unit. Also has interesting side enclosures. Maybe some kind of cushion for the glove box door on top as well?

Posted on: 2013/3/6 11:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Well, it's definitely a 56 car with 55 FRONT seat equipment. Rear seat springs and cushions also different between 55/56, but I can't even guess what this car has from the available photos.

According to Trade Letter 56-1004, Dealer 2, Supplement 2, the only interior trim offered in standard production for the 5687 model with Flamingo/White two-tone was Set 85 - black jacquard cloth with white leather (and vinyl).

The upholstery on this example appears to be a custom choice of materials, as well as colors - including the non-stock pattern of the black cloth. It has merely been sewn to resemble the layout used for 56, but to fit the 55 frames and cushions. Unless someone can furnish a production order that shows otherwise, I doubt if it's a factory job.

While the exterior paint matches my recollection of the one genuine Flamingo car that I've personally seen, I can tell that this car has been repainted. (Lincoln's color palette for 57 included a Flamingo that reminds me of the late 56 Packard offering.) Yet, I have to wonder if the color for the repaint may have also been "personalized" rather than genuine production.

Posted on: 2013/3/6 12:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
This car was gone over by some TV "experts". That is not Flamingo pink? - show us the plate on the body with the codes on it.
Dual four barrel - not hardly.
I wonder whose trans is driving this thing.
Where did they find the hideous seat fabric.
CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Posted on: 2013/3/6 12:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Veddy interesting Packard scouts. Now that I look at the interior, I'm inclined to agree that the exterior might have been one out of the hat. I'll see if I can get the trim and paint codes!

Posted on: 2013/3/6 12:47
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Transmission is manual and you can see the clutch pad in the photo of the dashboard! I agree--unfortunate seat material and certainly not from Packard.

Posted on: 2013/3/6 12:57
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Dual four barrel - not hardly.

Randy, perhaps the other carburetor is in the trunk.

Posted on: 2013/3/6 13:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Here's the scoop from the seller:

Paint: MK (Dover White/Scottish Heather)
Trim: 86 Black Cloth/Geneuine Red Leather

Someone introduced the "Flamingoesque" paint color over the original Scottish Heather. Now I understand why the interior does not really coordinate well with the exterior!

Posted on: 2013/3/6 13:38
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Esquireman wrote:
Transmission is manual and you can see the clutch pad in the photo of the dashboard! I agree--unfortunate seat material and certainly not from Packard.

I didn't look closely at the dash and don't see it mentioned but from the looks of the relay on the firewall, it does have OD.

Posted on: 2013/3/6 13:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
This car was owned by a nephew of a Packards North Texas member. Kerry passed away last year of a heart attack. It was a shock to the family. He did not have any health issues. He usually attended Salado meets driving one of Jeff's cars down. He will be missed.

Be sure that while you are taking care of your cars, you do the maintenance on yourself.

Posted on: 2013/3/6 15:50
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved