Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
236 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 236

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Interesting Article About the Caribbeans
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
There is an interesting article about the Caribbeans in the Summer issue of the Hagerty Classic Cars magazine: "The Last Great Packard - The Packard Caribbean" by Michael Lamm. The article talks about the competition between Henney and Mitchell-Bentley for the contract to do the retrofitting to the first Caribbeans, With M-B winning the contract. In discussing the 1955-56 models the author says that the front end styling was done by an outside firm, Sundberg-Ferar while Dick Teague's in-house team did the rest of the car. I was always of the understanding that Teague and his team did the whole styling exercise for the 1955 Clippers and Packards. Is the Sundberg-Ferar statement correct?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/6/9 13:32
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: Interesting Article About the Caribbeans
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...I was always of the understanding that Teague and his team did the whole styling exercise for the 1955 Clippers and Packards. Is the Sundberg-Ferar statement correct?

John, that would be new to me too. BTW Sundberg-Ferar survived.

Posted on: 2013/6/9 14:04
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe the Sundberg-Ferar connection was mentioned in another thread. Don't remember if it was here or AACA. Believe some of the more knowledgeable historians agreed with their contribution -- although I was under the impression from that discussion they did more than just the front end for 55.

Memory fades, but the way I remember the thread was S-F was consulted and with general desired guidelines or limitations given, produced a design. Teague et all did some refining of their original design and of course the famous Easter weekend taillights. Teague and Packard styling then did the 56 facelift.

Posted on: 2013/6/9 14:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
I believe the Sundberg-Ferar connection was mentioned in another thread...

=>This is true.

Posted on: 2013/6/9 16:29
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hell yes it's true and I have living proof. For the last couple of Wednesdays I've been meeting with MaryEllen (Green) Dohrs for coffee and she is THE contract employee hired by Dick Teague from Sundberg-Ferar to design the interior seats of the 1955 Caribbean and 400.

I am scanning her documents now in preparation for her speaking engagement at the 2013 PAC National Meet on Monday at the PPG. And the stories she has to tell!!

I am sharing a few here now so as not to spoil the show for the attendee.

Just another reason to come the 2013 PAC National Meet - we will accept registrations right through the event.

Attach file:

jpg  (105.88 KB)
436_51b506cabd8cf.jpg 834X1280 px

jpg  (91.56 KB)
436_51b506d8ab236.jpg 1216X912 px

Posted on: 2013/6/9 17:51
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Thanks to all who provided clarifying posts. We live and we learn, and this site is all about information.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/6/9 22:42
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved