Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
186 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 186

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Freeze Protection
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi Phil:

I don't care about the environment but here is a formula to calculate the exact amount of anti-freeze to add.

Suppose the cooling system is 7 gallons and requires 3.5 gallons of anti-freeze for 50%.

If the current percentage is 25% how much pure anti-freeze should you add for 50%?

Answer: System Capacity minus ((System requirement) divided by / (1 minus anti-freeze percentage))

Thus for the 7 gallon system at 25% we get

=> 7 - 3.5/(1-.25) = 2 1/3 gallons of straight anti-freeze needs to be added.

That is the amount you need to drain.

This formula comes from solving simultaneous equations.

Put a pan under the car to catch the stray anti-freeze and put saran wrap under the radiator cap to close the air valve. That will keep a suction on the system and reduce the amount of leakage while stored.

Posted on: 2013/12/11 11:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
If you're going to do the arithmetic for the add, why not aim for a 60% volume glycol ratio, as the freezing point will be another approx 15 F lower? That doesn't mean more is always better - this glycol-water is a non-ideal mixture

Posted on: 2013/12/11 13:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Because 60% will run hotter than 50%. If the car is in Arizona a 50% level is probably not required for rust protection. 50% is good to -34F. If you test a 40% mix at -34F it will not freeze solid so 60% is not required except for Antarctica or northern Siberia.

The risk with lower percentages is that the radiator will clog with slush and cause overheating. The block will be fine, but the radiator will freeze.

Posted on: 2013/12/11 15:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Tim,

Thanks for the tip on the saran wrap to create suction at radiator neck. Never occurred to me.

Posted on: 2013/12/11 15:39
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Here is another time saver that will save people from catching pneumonia in the garage.

Remove a sample from the cooling system.

Put it in the freezer.

My freezer is at -1F. So now you can sleep secure and save your anti-freeze for when you need it.

If your percentage is 25% you will see it slushy in the freezer.

And beware: If you mix long life with regular anti-freeze you won't get an accurate reading on a hydrometer because long life has to be tested using a refractometer.

Posted on: 2013/12/11 16:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
On this topic:

Here in Phoenix AZ the temperature has been dipping down to +35 or so.

As I spent time and money restoring my automatic windshield washer which has a glass jar reservoir, I wanted some of that antifreeze fluid.

Here in Phoenix they don't have a clue as to what I'm talking about and this they are the major auto supply retailers.

I dumped in some of the stuff to flush out RV water systems and then flushed it out and dried everything thoroughly.

I have a Ford Escape with a leaking window washer which I assume has been frozen.

Seems like a marketing opportunity to me to make antifreeze washer fluid.

I run regular 50/50 already mixed antifreeze in the cooling system and don't seem to have any problems with overheating.

Jim

Posted on: 2013/12/11 18:56
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Phil53
See User information
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am heating the space for now as it will be a few degrees below 0 tonite. I can change the pump fairly easily, but I sent the carb to Daytona for rebuilding after reading an earlier thread here, so I can't run the engine to mix the antifreeze until I get it back. Daytona estimated 6 or 7 weeks, and its been about 4, so I hope to have it back as a Christmas present.

Posted on: 2013/12/11 22:01
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved