Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 208

Bob J, Owen_Dyneto, R H, Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Freeze Protection
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Phil53
See User information
We are having the coldest Dec. in 18 years here in No. ILL. This follows a very cold Nov. Today I checked the antifreeze in my 2 Packards, and the 55 I purchased last spring is only good to about 15 degrees. The car is in a garage, but if I don't heat it I'm worried it might get colder than the antifreeze is good for. I don't want to add antifreeze as I have a bad water pump and need to change it out. If I drain all the antifreeze/water out of the radiator will it be safe? A little concerned about the water left in the block.

Posted on: 2013/12/10 20:02
 Top  Print   

Re: Freeze Protection
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
I can warm up your '55 on the way back to WI.

Posted on: 2013/12/10 20:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
Yep, looks like its gonna be a long, cold winter. I'd drain a gallon or two out, refill with 100 percent pure antifreeze, then start and warm up the motor to insure circulation. You could save the diluted antifreeze for next year and topping off when needed.
Considering the price of a busted block, the price of antifreeze seems cheap to me.
Joe

Posted on: 2013/12/10 22:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you really wanted to drain the system, don't forget the two water jacket drain plugs at the base of the water jacket (one on each side). But even that won't guarantee the system will be completely empty. And in addition, sitting dry is not particularly good for the radiator or the block.

I'd take JoeH's advice and adjust your antifreeze to the below the lowest temperature you can expect. The water pump is very easy to change, no more than 30 minutes or so. Do it first, or wait for warmer weather but at least go thru the winter with adequate freeze protection.

Posted on: 2013/12/10 23:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Just put a lit 60W light bulb on the engine and close the hood. That'll heat the coolant enough so that its freeze rating won't matter. It's 14F tonight in Pahrump, NV and that's what I'm doing.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/12/11 0:44
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I did the trick with a 100watt lightbulb to keep a pump from freezing. It always worked just fine till the lightbulb burned out 1 night. That was the end of my $800 pump!

Posted on: 2013/12/11 8:27
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I also recommend draining the rad and fill with pure antifreeze then run the car to mix it with what is in the block. That should get you by until spring. Not a big investment compared to a cracked block and radiator. The lightbulb solution is a god temporary one but not safe long term.

Posted on: 2013/12/11 9:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
If you choose to add more antifreeze, be sure when you run the engine to circulate the new mixture to turn on your heater. This will circulate the stronger antifreeze mix in the heater core and protect it from freezing.

Posted on: 2013/12/11 9:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
I did the trick with a 100watt lightbulb to keep a pump from freezing. It always worked just fine till the lightbulb burned out 1 night. That was the end of my $800 pump!

Well, there always all kinds of failure modes. However, if you take the "belt & suspenders" approach, then having a light bulb and anti-freeze in the coolant, then you shouldn't have a problem.

Then, there's always block heater freeze plugs -- but I guess the electricity could go off all night.

In my case with my 55 Pat, I have anti-freeze mix mostly because it helps in the summertime due to it's superior heat transfer characteristics. Belt & Suspenders.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/12/11 10:30
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Use a quartz halogen work light or two to warm the front of the engine compartment. The heat given off by lamp should make it warm enough to comfortably change out the water pump and then you can refill with fresh antifreeze mix.

The lamps can be had at the box or hardware stores for around twenty bucks. Also comes in handy to unfreeze car doors, etc.

Posted on: 2013/12/11 10:39
Stephen
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved