Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
72 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 72

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Stuck Brake Pedal
Just popping in
Just popping in

RP
See User information
Looking for some advice. I'm new to your forum since December. I have a '53 Convertible that thanks to the Kantar brothers, has new axle seals, pinion seal, brake cylinders, shoes, parking brake cable, water pump, thermostat, voltage regulator, shocks, turn signals, heater hoses, heater ducts, u joints, rebuilt generator, and radiator serviced.
Solved slipping trans with "F" type fluid, 1/2 quart of Lucas "snot", and 9 turns in till 20 ft#s and 1 3/4 back out on low band.
Can any one tell me why my brake pedal sticks half way down after being applied? It will put you through the dash. But then the brakes stay held until you hear a release of fluid or vacuum. It's a weird noise. To me it sounds like air or vacuum trapped for about 3 seconds am
And then the noise, the pedal bounces back up, and off I go.
Could it be not enough vacuum?
The tank on fender well holds vacuum off the manifold.
Could it be a bad "check valve"on the booster?
Could it be a collapsing brake line that is slow to return to form?
The symptom was there prior to all the brake parts replaced
This is my last issue to be solved in order to make it into an everyday driver.
Thanks, RP

Posted on: 2014/3/27 21:47
 Top  Print   

Re: Stuck Brake Pedal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day RP,
to PackardInfo, but sorry I can't help with your problem.

However, I invite you to include your '53 Convertible in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo.

Posted on: 2014/3/27 22:51
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The problem is caused by the power piston sticking in the Treadlevac power brake unit. If you put your toe under the pedal and lift it should come right back up.

That is your warning that that unit needs to be rebuilt--a warning not to be taken lightly. I am happy to do it for you, or send it to one of the usual rebuilders but be sure they are going to go through the vacuum section as well as the hydraulic.

Posted on: 2014/3/28 6:18
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

54packman1
See User information
sounds like the valve in the booster is sticking, could try and disconnect the vacuum line and see if it still happens with it sticking,if so could be a broken spring in the booster or rust in the cylinder of the booster causing the seal to get stuck or old brake fluid that has been sucked through the front seal of the master cylinder, which is really not good, can lead to total brake loss, as the vacuum will suck all the brake fluid out of the master cylinder into the brake booster without warning..

Posted on: 2014/3/28 9:15
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved