Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
92 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 91

dick29, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Replace ignition switch 1947 Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
Install New Ignition Switch 1947 Packard Custom Clipper
(Disclaimer...this may or may not be applicapable to other models). See attached diagram
HH6 and I have to replace our ignition switches. The Packard armoured switch is no longer available -even from a rebuilder. We chose the Pollak 31-180 Four Position Key Start Ignition Switch found on Ebay from Autowire. It is American made and had good specs. Also, It can be modified to use the lock cylinder and the keys you already have if they are Packard keys...makes life much easier! The diagram below will permit starting the engine from either the ignition key or the carb switch.
The terminals on the new ign switch will be labeled BAT, IGN and ACC, and ST (start).
BAT will get the wires from the old switch AM terminal which I think is the upper right as you look at the back of the switch. There are very tiny cast in labels on the plastic space above the terminal and the zinc case. ACC will get the wires now on GA and from IGN will need to be a new wire. That will be the wire now in the armored cable going to the coil.
Just run a wire from the center ST terminal on the ign switch to the carb switch terminal which goes to the solenoid terminal or on the solenoid terminal which holds the wire coming from the carb switch. That way the car will start with turning the key just as modern cars do and also the with the accelerator.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.48 KB)
74962_59d3c827a73c0.jpg 801X530 px
pdf Size: 354.31 KB; Hits: 61

Posted on: 2017/10/3 12:26
 Top  Print   

Re: Replace ignition switch 1947 Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Good to hear from you and a good solution to a problem that others have faced or will have to deal with. Your wiring diagram and description are a big help in doing this job. Do you have a photo of the switch so we can see how it will look installed? JWL

Posted on: 2017/10/3 16:33
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Can the new switch key cylinder be modified as a "do it yourself" project or is a locksmith required? Thanks

Posted on: 2017/10/4 8:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
I put an excellent write up by HH6 on the Pollack lock in a PDF file in my original post.

Posted on: 2017/10/4 15:34
 Top  Print   

Modifying Pollock Lock
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
Thanks to HH6, it is easy peasy...how does he do it!!!

"on" is the third position not the first as reported earlier
Key positions from Pollak specs
1 ACC
2 off
3 Ignition/ACC
4 Start momentary and return to position 3. No lockout.

Attach file:

jpg  (265.16 KB)
74962_59d5467cb9462.jpg 1498X1920 px

jpg  (249.02 KB)
74962_59d5468e9e3df.jpg 1498X1920 px

jpg  (163.76 KB)
74962_59d546a2c0bed.jpg 1598X2048 px
doc Size: 90.50 KB; Hits: 58

Posted on: 2017/10/4 15:35
 Top  Print   

Re: Modifying Pollock Lock
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here are the specs on the Pollak 31-180 switch. It should be able to replace switches from several years. Clippers from 41-47 will need the armored cable replaced with a section of wire. It will also work on the 22nd series. The Packard bezel will thread on but is a bit loose. Perhaps a layer of teflon tape would tighten but it may not be an issue. The bezel shipped with the switch is very presentable -- more so than other universal switches. The main difference in looks is the side of the Pollak bezel has small flats vs the solid round Packard bezel.

The biggest issue will be the positioning notch is offset from the one on the Packard switch. To make the new switch mount in the dash and look correct the small tang in the dash opening will need to be removed so the key slot will be vertical. That could let the switch rotate if the bezel is loose so perhaps a mounting plate could be fabricated to go behind the dash in a way to use something existing to prevent any rotation. I haven't experimented with that part yet.

Electrically it would also work for 49-53 but the Packard bezel and dash opening is different those years. Bezel is not usable and mods would be needed in the dash opening that may cause issues if you wanted to use a Packard switch again.

Thanks to Robert for finding the switch. It is a much better replacement than one I used from another mfg.

Attach file:

jpg  (85.35 KB)
209_59d5525f512cc.jpg 878X1160 px

Posted on: 2017/10/4 16:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Robert and Howard, Thanks for sharing. I'm sure when the time comes I'll be able to replace my existing ignition switch. Thanks guys!

Posted on: 2017/10/4 18:28
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved