Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
63 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 62

bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1956 Packard Caribbean Coupe paint codes
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Adriaticbluecaribbean wrote:
I will take some more pictures when we can pick it up from our shipper. Sadly this car was sitting for 30+ years in a storage unit at a cement factory. The front end of the car is almost gone.

Thank you for your helping me!

I've seen worse. Like one of my 1956 convertibles I bought in the 1970s. It had been sitting untouched for nearly 20 years... next to the ocean, outdoors, totally unprotected! Incredible that someone would allow severe damage like that to occur to such a fine automobile.

When we went to lift it onto a flatbed, the body was so paper-thin and completely rusted, it came off of the chassis and collapsed! I saved what I could but there was hardly anything left that had not been completely damaged. The interior cushions were so full of water that they had ballooned to nearly twice their original size and popped all of the leather stitching. Live plants were growing out of them! Needless to say, that Caribbean didn't get saved.

And then there is Caribbean production #1 which is presently being restored. It was pretty far gone when I first saw it, but now on the way to recovery.

Amazingly, your roof (which is normally the REALLY rusty part of 1956 Caribbean hardtops) looks intact compared to the rest of the body.

Good luck with this project. I look forward to seeing more photos. By the way, is that a Borgward sitting next to your Caribbean?

Posted on: 2020/11/20 9:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
JEEEEEZ! Looking at the driver side door specifically and the car generally, I'm asking in all sincerity is that car even a candidate for any kind restoration?

Posted on: 2020/11/20 13:33
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

point
See User information
if that car has the 2x4s setup on it and air cleaner, and the car was here in the states,i would fix it ,i have about all parts fix it with,wonder if it has factory AC?

Posted on: 2020/11/20 14:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

packardguy53 wrote:
JEEEEEZ! Looking at the driver side door specifically and the car generally, I'm asking in all sincerity is that car even a candidate for any kind restoration?

Here's how to deal with the door issue (and I've changed a bunch of them over the years):

1.) Open the door and remove the inner panel and detach electrical wiring...
2.) Unbolt the door from its hinges...
3.) Find a used Four Hundred coupe door, remove the trim, glass and then bolt it on.
4.) Strip and paint.
5.) Re-install glass, regulator and window motor.
6.) Feed electrical harness into replacement door and connect...
7.) Swap the inner door trim onto the replacement door.
8.) Close the door...

The door is the easy part. What will be the tough issues are replacing the rockers and rotted quarter panels.

Posted on: 2020/11/20 14:17
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Adriaticbluecaribbean
See User information
Yes the car next to Packard is our Borgward Isabella. They where shipped together.
If the car has the paint code HAH and if it is the only one with those colours, it's worth saving it (at least trying to). I haven't heard of this colour combination (if someone has please let me know).
We just started our current project: a 1956 Packard Caribbean Coupe Code "H" and we have fully restored other Caribbeans in the past. So I hope that we can save this one.

Attach file:

jpeg  (259.18 KB)
222996_5fb81cb07db5a.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/11/20 14:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Very unusual color combination. I nearly bought a Caribbean Coupe once for $1200 but it seemed a high price at the time, especially as the rain gutters were rusted away although it was otherwise in good condition. If I knew then what I know now . . .

Why was the VIN tag removed? If removed and out back on, it would be an automatic verification failure here in California! The VIN tag should never be removed if spot welded on as a VIN verifier can always tell. Best to try to leave it in place and work around it.

Posted on: 2020/11/20 16:12
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Adriaticbluecaribbean
See User information
We had to remove it because the car has some rust issues from water damage in that area. We thought it would be safer to take it of and to do a proper job/cleaning in that area.

Posted on: 2020/11/20 16:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
It might have been better to cut out the area of steel and put it back in rather that cutting the factory spot welds.

Posted on: 2020/11/20 16:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
You do seem to like blue!

I hope you finish both cars.

If you have pictures of the other Caribbean's you have done, I would love to see those too!

Posted on: 2020/11/20 17:19
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved