Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
176 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 174

TxGoat, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: 1934 shock links
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Quote:
From Dave's info all Standard Eights had the same setup by part number. While for the Super Eights all had the same setup but different from the Standard Eight. Although I'm confused by this "the 1934 Super Eight links have different grommets and cite use of ball nuts" because Tom's pic's appear to show, to my untrained eye, compression rubber type fittings and not ball joints. Is this so? Or have I misidentified the fittings in the pic's? And Tom, thanks for the pic's they are great.

Mal,

I think ball nuts are what you see holding the rubber grommets onto the shaft. In fact, I think the grommet is part of the nut. From what I can tell, they are used where linear motion is providing the stress. Dave, please correct me if I'm stoned.

Tom

Posted on: 2009/4/10 18:51
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tom, I would have loved to have seen a picture in the parts manual. Far as I can figure, you've right on. But as I said next week's Grand Classic should have several 34s, as well as many of the real Classic Packard gurus here in NJ. I'll see what I can learn.

Posted on: 2009/4/10 19:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi All,
Just thought I,d pop back in here to say that this is all interesting stuff going on in my behalf. Very much appreciated. I did not think that when I put in the request for info it would lead to all these different shock links for cars in the same series.
I can,t wait for Dave,s next reply after his visit to the CCCA Grand classic next week.
Once again thanks guy's
Terry

Posted on: 2009/4/11 0:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
traumjaegercat wrote: I can't wait for Dave's next reply after his visit to the CCCA Grand classic next week.........

Posted on: 2009/4/11 1:05
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Something else about Terry's car that we haven't talked about; those links with the right-angle attachments configured like tie rod ends would require that the shock arms and lower attachment points on the suspension also be different or modified.

Posted on: 2009/4/11 7:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
A good point Dave,
I had it in mind but will only work on when the dust settles on this thread and we know for certain how the links should be. Hopefully when you return from the CCCA Grand classic next week.
Terry

Posted on: 2009/4/11 13:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Great day at the Grand Classic, just about 70 cars in perfect weather. Gaggles of Packards including several 34 Eights, Super Eights, and Twelves. Crawled under every one to look at shock links. 34 Super Eight and Twelve appear the same and identical to Tom's (34Packardroadster). Eights all the same as my car and Wade's chassis for the best picture. Showed Terry's pix to some of the experts who figure it is some sort or later adaptation, not Packard of any vintage.

The Vignale Packard was here, plus 1 734 boat tail, many outstanding Packards, Cadillacs, one Kissel, one Hudson by LeBaron, 4 or so Pierces, 2 Rollers, a Chrysler, and too many others to mention. Will post some pic when I return.

Sorry Terry, not obvious what your solution will be other than to try to return to the correct link if the shock arms haven't been modified to preclude that.

Posted on: 2009/4/18 16:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Great day at the Grand Classic........Gaggles of Packards including several 34 Eights, Super Eights, and Twelves. Crawled under every one to look at shock links. 34 Super Eight and Twelve appear the same and identical to Tom's (34Packardroadster). Eights all the same as my car and Wade's chassis for the best picture. Showed Terry's pix to some of the experts who figure it is some sort or later adaptation, not Packard of any vintage.........Sorry Terry, not obvious what your solution will be other than to try to return to the correct link if the shock arms haven't been modified to preclude that.

Dave,

Looking forward to seeing the pic's. Pity about the shock link info.

Terry,

Dave's work in "Crawled under every one to look at shock links" and "Showed Terry's pix to some of the experts" confirm that Wade's links won't work on your '34.

Posted on: 2009/4/19 3:42
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Dave, Glad you enjoyed the show and thanks for taking the trouble to crawl around under the cars and chat to all the other gurus about the problem.
I think I will still try to change it back to as it should be.
Regards
Terry

Posted on: 2009/4/20 16:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Terry,

I've included an edited version here of your recent email about the shock links "G,day Mal,......Although you say that Wade's links won't work on my shocks I am sure that I can modify my arms to suit the parts from Wade. Therefore I would still like to go ahead with.....the parts from Wade........Thanks for all the interest and help you have given on this subject as well as the vent arm crank." You'll have to forgive me Terry but I want the World, well at least a corner of the Packard world, to know what's happening with these shock links.

And in response today, besides speaking to Wade, I removed the rear shock links and the front shock link axle mounts from '34 parts chassis. So here is what we have:
2 - Front axle shock link mounts
1 - Front shock link - Measures 6.75" from centre of U to top shoulder of bottom mount
1 - Front shock link - broken
2 - Rear shock links - Measures 6.00" from centre of U to top shoulder of bottom mount - mostly complete
There is only one of the pins which mount through the U. The pins have a "knurled" shoulder at the threaded end. I have re-assembled the link this came off so you can see how it fits.
Plus various "perished" rubber bushes.

I note in one of your earlier emails you also "would like them posted to an address in Toowoomba in Brisbane area but will confirm that later". That will be fine but I can get them shipped to the UK if need be.

And I refer also to some of my earlier comments
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:........[b][i]Looking at your pics and drawings some queries come to mind, and I'll also present these on PackardInfo for comment, they are:
1) The centre to centre measurements on your shock links are 7" for the fronts and 8" for the rears while Wades shock links are shorter in the rear than the front by about 1/2". Sorry I didn't measure this dimension on Wades links when I did jot down a few measurements. I'll take more measurements after Easter to try and enlighten the situation............
4) Wades rears, while having a bent arm, also have a kink in the arm just before the mounting to the shock link.......
Sorry I don't have better pic's of Wades shocks and shock arms but I was concentrating on the shock links at the time.
I will take pic's of Wades shocks and shock arms after Easter.......

Well Easter came and went and I didn't get any further pics or take more measurements because of Dave's impending CCCA meet. But did take more pic's today and these can be seen in this Picasa album, pic's 116 to 158 refer.http://picasaweb.google.com/ozstatman/WadesWorkshopApril2009# And Tom Wilcox's post of 10th April has pic's of his 1104, both front and rear, with measurements on the pic's. I'd imagine that shock link length will be a factor in your considerations on this matter.

Oh - by the way Wade does have a '33 to '36 Packard Service Parts List. But, although somewhat helpful in giving parts numbers for the various years and models, because it lacks identifying diagrams of what and where the parts are, it's difficult to nail exactly what's what!

Will email you soon about delivery and other details.

Attach file:

jpg  (11.98 KB)
226_49eeeca9ab4ff.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (15.73 KB)
226_49eeecd419764.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (15.58 KB)
226_49eeecf35300b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (16.01 KB)
226_49eeecff2f5a2.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2009/4/22 5:19
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved