Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 115

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Oiling system history recap and update on the Oldsmobile oil pump conversion
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Packard had a floating oil screen. Here is the theory behind it as described in an earlier fact book showing an inline 8 pump and pan. While not described in detail in the V8 books it was in all engines made thru 56.

Attach file:

jpg  screen.jpg (502.15 KB)
209_663d95c59b39a.jpg 1330X1668 px

Posted on: 5/9 22:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Oiling system history recap and update on the Oldsmobile oil pump conversion
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

Jeff Williams wrote:
Was that a feature in the Packard pumps?

Yes and fun fact, the resting position of the oil pickup is exactly 4½° below horizontal.

Posted on: 5/10 5:49
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
Packard for many decades employed a "floating pickup" combined with bypass oil filtration, to provide superior filtration with a single filter. Bypass filters filter out smaller particles than do full flow filters. The floating pickup is intended to pick up the cleanest oil as heavier particles sink, ensuring no large particle gets circulated.

I just replaced my pump several days ago with Jack's Olds kit. In addition to the rigid pickup, I also noticed that the pickup sits higher than the Packard original, like about an inch. I take this to mean you won't want to let your oil level get low or you'll soon be sucking air.

Posted on: 5/22 14:42
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1948 Custom Touring Sedan (22nd Series)
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
On the upside, with the standard Olds Melling pump with stock relief valve spring (it came with a "high pressure" spring for optional installation), I've got great oil pressure on my formerly rebuilt V-8 and the lifter ticking is now gone. I did not opt for the high pressure spring as I expected it would not increase idle pressure but would boost the higher rpm pressure more than really necessary. I'm observing a steady almost 3/4 scale indicated pressure on the gauge at all rpm.

One surprise when I disconnected the internal vacuum tube to the vacuum booster is that it was mostly full of engine oil. The oil pump bushing appears to be tight, no play. I've not yet disassembled the original pump but am thinking the air ingress is from the vacuum booster rather than the shaft.

Posted on: 5/22 15:10
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1948 Custom Touring Sedan (22nd Series)
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Jack,

Does the Olds conversion work on a "Hash" V8? Or does the oil pan need swapped out?

Posted on: 6/2 10:35
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved