Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
68 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 68

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Overdrive Issue...R11
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

drock87
See User information
I'm a little stumped with my overdrive on my 1949 23rd Series Super Eight. When I let off the gas, regardless of speed, it just freewheels and when I apply throttle it just slips back into normal gear.

I have power at the relay. I can trip the solenoid (where I can hear it click). I have NOT taken the solenoid off to bench test. Should that be my next step...or do you think maybe the governor switch? I was hoping that I could find something simple when I started with my multimeter, but no such luck. There is another post on here with a diagram with superimposed instructions and I have been through those.

Posted on: 5/11 15:40
 Top  Print   

Re: Overdrive Issue...R11
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
If the governor switch is dirty, or the lockout switch, the relay will receive no signal telling the overdrive to operate. You can check the rest of the overdrive by patching a wire onto the relay at the same terminal you used to test it previously. Bring that wire inside the car and go for a drive. When you reach 25 or so ground that wire on some convenient screw or door handle and the car should go into OD when you let off the gas.

Posted on: 5/11 20:32
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

drock87
See User information
Quote:

Ross wrote:
If the governor switch is dirty, or the lockout switch, the relay will receive no signal telling the overdrive to operate. You can check the rest of the overdrive by patching a wire onto the relay at the same terminal you used to test it previously. Bring that wire inside the car and go for a drive. When you reach 25 or so ground that wire on some convenient screw or door handle and the car should go into OD when you let off the gas.

That is good advice...I'll try all of the above. I had been focusing on the relay and solenoid as those seem to be common denominators.

Can I assume the lockout switch is working as if I have the cable engaged it freewheels and if not it drives as if no OD....?

Posted on: 5/14 10:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Electrically make sure the lockout switch is working. Remove one of the wires and use an ohmmeter so you can test that when the OD knob is pulled out the switch will be open or have no continuity but when knob is pushed in the switch will close.

The plunger is plastic and in several instances it was found that a notch had worn in the end of the plunger so that the plunger would not travel the entire distance. Issue was the switch either would not close or else vibration would intermittently open and close the switch. The symptom would be the same as if the governor was not working.

Here is the difference between a good and bad switch. If the switch is only slightly worn and the lockwasher is still present you can usually unscrew the switch and remove the lockwasher to get a bit more life out of the switch. Some switches just unscrew but others need to have a bent over tab straightened so the switch can turn and unscfrew.

Attach file:

jpg  R9 AND R11 good lockout switch.jpg (266.62 KB)
209_66438d430cf7a.jpg 800X782 px

jpg  R9 and R11 worn lockout sw.jpg (52.50 KB)
209_66438d5a68685.jpg 600X425 px

Posted on: 5/14 11:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved