Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 104

TxGoat, Ozstatman, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 255 256 257 (258) 259 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I always wash it again as there is always a little bit residue from where the clay bar lube drips down in places.

Posted on: 5/18 17:38
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Trying to isolate some slop in the steering. I decided to check the oil level in the steering box. Yeah.... pretty much empty.

So after 90w GL1 and some hard turns left and right it's much better.

Still a bit of slop. Also there is not a hard stop going full lock, it feels like I am again something "springy" at the end of travel. Perhaps the cross shaft end tube plugs are not tight enough?

Posted on: 5/20 7:18
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I adjusted the play out on the steering box. It was pretty loose. Steering is much better now, no play in the steering wheel now.

The rest of the issue is more than likely with the front end alignment. So that next on the list. Once that is squared then I may need to pull off the stwering wheel and recenter it if the alignment doesn't square it. I've had the wheel off several times over the years and they was so much slop it's possible it's not in the exact correct position.

Also I've discovery my floor jack is reached EOL. It still lifts fine, but the release had become treacherous. It either goes down slowly as normal or suddenly falls. Yeah, not even going to mess with that anymore.

Posted on: 5/20 20:06
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Also I've discovery my floor jack is reached EOL. It still lifts fine, but the release had become treacherous. It either goes down slowly as normal or suddenly falls. Yeah, not even going to mess with that anymore.

Sounds like it's ready for Facebook Marketplace

Posted on: 5/20 21:37
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
My floor jack died entirely last year and after having to borrow my brother’s the last couple times I was at my shop (which meant lugging it over on a golf cart from a block away) I finally bought a new one. It was a cheapie but I like the dual action it has to get it raised quickly and it has a long range to go under the very low frame of my 1965 Cadillac or the very high one of my Henney-Packard.

On the steering wheel, I thought it was keyed to go on only one way or am I thinking of one of my other cars? In any event, I always specify to center the wheel when having an alignment done.

Posted on: 5/21 2:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
I adjusted the play out on the steering box. It was pretty loose. Steering is much better now, no play in the steering wheel now.

The rest of the issue is more than likely with the front end alignment. So that next on the list. Once that is squared then I may need to pull off the stwering wheel and recenter it if the alignment doesn't square it. I've had the wheel off several times over the years and they was so much slop it's possible it's not in the exact correct position.

So what did you do to adjust the steering box? I need to do the same. I have lots of play in the wheel....no wandering around the road but the wheel itself can move an inch or two in either direction without having much effect on the front wheels. I've read through the manual but haven't attempted anything yet.

Posted on: 5/22 18:08
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
In a nut shell:

Jack up the front of the car so the front wheels are off the ground.

Remove the oil fill and make sure it has oil. 90W GL1 is what I used.

Remove the cover cap/bolt from the adjuster. Remove that large lock/star washer. Turn until you just feel resistance. Put the star washer back on. It probably won't line up, so the back the adjuster out enough until the star washer seats and locks the adjuster in place. The front wheels should turn the instant the steering wheel does. That dead space in the wheel should be gone/minimal. If not, you can try to adjust on more star notch.

When happy, put the cover cap back on to lock the starwasher in place.

Take for a drive.

You just don't want it too tight. So if it now feels like it's binding, then you need to loosen it a bit.

Posted on: 5/22 18:56
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Car at the alignment shop. It has a pull to the right. Not severe, but enough to warrant attention.

I've never aligned it since I've had it and since I've had the steering cross tube apart in the past, it's time. Especially before the drive to the National in a couple of weeks.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 5/23 7:58
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
It drives like a new car now. No more wandering.

Posted on: 5/23 17:27
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Did you ever replace bushings on the front end? I haven't on mine. I'm sure it would benefit from having it done, but I've not felt it necessary yet.

Posted on: 5/23 17:43
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 255 256 257 (258) 259 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved