Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 207

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Door Seals
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I picked up these door seals at our clubs swap meet. Mine are leaky, so I think this will be a project this summer or fall. These are the generic glue on ones, but look like they are correct. Do you think so too?

I remember reading about doors being harder to close after new seals were installed and wondered if I would be sorry if I did this project this spring? Will I be slamming my doors all summer? Maybe I should do this project in the fall and let the seals sit over the winter so they can find their shape and be ready for next spring? Or will a warm sunny day do the trick?

Thoughts?

Click to see original Image in a new window

PSA (Packard Service Announcement) If you replace your front windshield, remember to glue these back down, otherwise water runs down and weeps though the wind lace, about where the door switch is, to your door panel. I don't think it leaks as long as you're driving, but I would suggest that the adhesive is less expensive than the fuel.

Posted on: 5/23 10:17
 Top  Print   

Re: Door Seals
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
That new weatherstrip looks the exact same as the stuff that Steele sells for our cars. It will work fine. My doors are definitely harder to close right now after doing new weatherstripping. It has gotten better and should hopefully continue as the weather warms up. But the door alignment was also affected. I had them lined up nearly perfectly (or as good as I could get it) before the new weatherstrip, but now they both stick out 1/8"-1/4" at the rear. I will try adjusting them again, just haven't taken the time to do so.

-Kevin

Posted on: 5/23 10:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I noticed after replacing just this ONE piece (actually missing from the car in this photo) that my door now “springs” open noticeably.

By the way, what glue should be used on these? I tried Plio Bond, to no avail.

Attach file:

jpeg  5C5BBA04-9FCB-42AF-969D-03EEB9D41629.jpeg (83.57 KB)
225076_664f6a5cd0808.jpeg 912X1164 px

Posted on: 5/23 11:07
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:
I noticed after replacing just this ONE piece (actually missing from the car in this photo) that my door now “springs” open noticeably.

By the way, what glue should be used on these? I tried Plio Bond, to no avail.

I have the same problem on mine, but it's because the door handle clips are in the way so the weatherstripping is pushed out. I still need to correct that.

I think most people use 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive. Worked great for me. Clean both bonding surfaces, apply to both, let tack, then apply. Work in sections.

Posted on: 5/23 11:35
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Dang.

Never had a problem with pilo bond.

Do you have the trim piece that goes on end of door

Posted on: 5/23 11:45
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

R H wrote:
Dang.

Never had a problem with pilo bond.

Do you have the trim piece that goes on end of door

Perhaps I didn’t let it set long enough. Instructions say like a week.

What trim piece? You mean the little elongated-D shape washer thing? Yes.

Posted on: 5/23 12:34
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
After replacing door seals, the doors may be harder to close and may tend to "spring out" when opened. After a few days to a week or so, the new seals will begin to conform better and the doors should close normally. This work is best done in summer, not Winter. Lubricating the door latches may help the doors close more easily. I wouldn't slam the doors. Pushing firmly on the handle as you close the door all the way is usually enough.

Posted on: 5/23 13:29
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I picked up some 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive. It's 3M and it's super, so it's gotta be good, right? LOL

Posted on: 5/23 15:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
53 Cavalier

This is a bit ‘off-subject’ but I fixed a door rattling problem by changed the door seals on a ’99 Suburban, and as expected the doors became harder to latch. Seems the strikers on those cars are nonadjustable, and the seal plays a key role in keeping the doors both weather tight and rattle-free. If the striker on the Packard is adjustable, then perhaps you can accommodate the ‘hard to close’ tendency with a minor striker adjustment, and keep-up with minor adjustments as the seals compress with age. After a year in the Arizona heat the doors are still a bit difficult to latch . . . that’s a good thing, however I would advise it might take the seals a while to compress back to carbonite. After you change the seals, you really don’t want the doors to close as easy as they do today.

dp

Posted on: 5/23 19:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
h I have the same problem on mine, but it's because the door handle clips are in the way so the weatherstripping is pushed out. I still need to correct that.

The door handle clips should be flush with the door jamb and not stick out at all. If they are sticking out, then they are not in all the way.

Posted on: 5/24 10:50
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved