Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
303 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 300

pmhowe, 68amxgopac, 39SixSedanMan, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: convert to quartz?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
They make quartz movements that mimic the tick of the second hand. Not sure about 6 volts or not nor about positive ground.

Posted on: 5/29 18:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
I've fixed a few clocks (two 39 and one 40). Get one of those small 6 volt batteries and appropriate gator clips, oil and let it run. If it's particularly dirty you can try and clean using ultrasonic cleaning and then oil. It's not uncommon that the oil will work and it reset for a few days and then stop, requiring a manual reset. Just keep it plugged up and re-oiling,etc. Once it's running without intervention for a few weeks straight you should be good. According to a pro click repair guy who taught me some things, these usually just need oiling and working themselves loose and out.

One thing to note if you don't already have experience on this is that if you aren't driving daily you'll likely want to unplug the clock if not driving otherwise it'll kill your battery pretty fast or at least give you grief with starting.

Posted on: 5/29 20:40
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Mr.D
See User information
I had the clock in my 1940 110 done by The Clock Works. It has been running fine for two years now. The price was reasonable and the service was exceptional I added the extra twenty bucks for express service and was not dissapointed. The number is 715 479 5759 or you can find them on line. I guess I'm a purist and would keep it oririginal, afterall if you need a clock that keeps perfect time use your cell phone.
J

Posted on: 6/11 10:22
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bullsh--ter
See User information
Not being a purist I replaced the clock in my 37 with a generic battery powered movement.
I modified and painted the hands to match the originals. It keeps perfect time and is virtually indistinct from the original

Posted on: 6/11 15:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
Everyone has to do what they need to do. Just try and find a good home for the "leftover" parts of the clock or keep it around to show people how they were engineered. It's fun to explain how they "rewind" and how the springs, etc. pace the rundown.

Posted on: 6/11 21:07
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved