Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
306 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 303

pmhowe, 68amxgopac, 39SixSedanMan, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

convert to quartz?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Looking to convert my 35 senior clock to quartz. Has anyone done the this or have an idea about it. Thanks Dell

Posted on: 5/28 20:50

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: convert to quartz?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Some years ago I had my 56 clock with Borg movement done by Instrument Services and was very happy with the conversion. I don't know whether 35 used the Borg movement or how the diameter of the 35 clock compares with the 56 but you might give them a call and see if they can do it. Hand size mismatch where they press onto the stems of the new movement might be an issue with an older clock. Another issue with the larger clocks is the quartz movement is fairly small and mounted right in the center but on the larger diameter clocks with the time set knob extending out the dash glass the distance from the movement is quite far away. On the 56 clock Instrument services had to fabricate a plate to hold and place a couple of extra idler gears in the string so the set gear on the movement could mesh with the far away knob.

Posted on: 5/28 21:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I've never heard of anyone doing that to a mechanical clock. Is it not repairable?

Posted on: 5/29 7:53
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
The Borg clocks are repairable. But they are notoriously unreliable/inaccurate probably due to voltage fluctuations with the 6 volt system.
What say you experts out their? Repair or "quartz" them?

Posted on: 5/29 11:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Voltage fluctuations shouldn't affect their accuracy more than how fast you turn a winding key affects accuracy. Sure it might be some, but I would expect wear to be a bigger issue.

Anyone remember from back in the day, how often a new clock would need the time adjusted, once you got the speed dialed in?

Posted on: 5/29 11:27
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
From what I've read dirt and dried or sticky lube is the worst offender with the Borg clocks. The dirt and lube issue is something common to all mechanical clocks but along with the vibration seems to be prevalent in the auto clocks. Pitting and burning of the contacts that close to kick the solenoid when winding occurs is the next common failure mode. A weak battery from a long sit is another culprit with the contacts because when weak the battery doesn't kick the solenoid hard enough to wind all the way so it starts needing a wind more frequently which increases the arcing. If the battery becomes too weak there is no kick and contacts sit closed since the kick cannot open them. Burning until they won't pass current then is common. Hopefully the fuse finally blows before that happens but being saved by the fuse is not always the outcome.

One all to frequent issue is spraying the clock mechanism with WD40 or some other lube. That works for a week or two but to effectively lube, clock oil needs to be applied in tiny amounts directly onto the pivot points and not get on the hairspring which works the balance wheel. The overall spraying just gets everything sticky which in a short time attracts more dirt.

Posted on: 5/29 11:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That Packard does not have a Borg clock, or equivalent. It should have a high quality Waltham 8-day pure mechanical clock. These are generally very reliable and long-lived, I'd recommend cleaning and whatever repair is needed by a good clock shop. On my '34 I needed a new mainspring which was readily available, I had it repaired and put back in service a good 40+ years ago and it's still working just fine.

Posted on: 5/29 12:24
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I can’t speak for Waltham clocks but for Borg, I had one in a 1965 Cadillac Calais Coupe converted by Borg themselves. I looked like new when they were done, keeping accurate time. The only visible difference was that the second hand swept around smoothly rather than clicking the seconds.

Posted on: 5/29 12:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Since you are in California, you might try palo alto speedo.http://paspeedo.com/
In the porsche World a lot of people convert to quartz.

Posted on: 5/29 15:12
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1953 Caribbean, 1969 912, 1990 Miata
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Dell, -> this way to another specialized provider.

Quote:
...Is it not repairable?

West, -> apparently Dell had tried this before.

Posted on: 5/29 16:17
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved