Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
250 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 248

kevinpackard, 39SixSedanMan, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

49 288 Starter replacement
Just popping in
Just popping in

InlineOcho
See User information
I am getting into my 49 Deluxe Eight with the only goal right now is to make it derivable. Starting to see if i can get it to run, I find the starter is pretty much shot. Looks like it broke at one time and was welded back together. Is there a known 12v replacement that would work, even with a little modification? I am seeing some new options but $325 is robbery. Perhaps something from a tractor or other "close enough" engine.

Thanks

Attach file:

jpeg  Starter.jpeg (1,205.90 KB)
226922_6672ff58c0257.jpeg 3076X4096 px

Posted on: 6/19 10:55
 Top  Print   

Re: 49 288 Starter replacement
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Other than finding a stock 6v starter and having new field coils put in so it is modified to run on 12v the broken casting is a too frequent occurrence after a 12v conversion. That they were able to repair yours speaks to the talent someone has in welding.

There is a modern high torque mini starter from Vintage Auto Garage that has been successfully used but it may be the one you mention that costs a few bucks. I do not know if anyone has proved or even tried to see whether the 55-6 12v starters will bolt on the earlier engines but even if they do the distance the pinion moves to mesh with the ring gear may be different between the two styles of engine. Until that is proven, for a pre 55 car running on 12v I don't know of any solution other than finding an original starter to modify or buying the mini starter.

Posted on: 6/19 11:09
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I would suspect that most options are going to be a few hundred dollars. What is going on that your current starter is "shot?" Maybe for now you can clean it up and lubricate it to getting it working well enough? A little time and energy, but no money. Make sure you have a good battery and cables as those will make a big difference. I'm not a big fan of 12 volt conversions as I think they are too often done to compensate for other issues.

Posted on: 6/19 11:51
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
53 Cavalier brings up a good point of going thru and checking things. Worn or poor contacting brushes and egg shaped worn bushings that let the armature drag have been a frequent reason starters seem to get tired or pull a lot of current. Add to that the nose was repaired and the end bushing might not have been brought back into precise alignment could also be a reason the starter seems sluggish.

Posted on: 6/19 12:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

InlineOcho
See User information
Bendix gear doesn't seem to be engaging and the positive post is broken internally. I might fuddle with it to get it going but would like a longer term fix.

55-6 12v starters looks promising. I'll have to dig around. Anyone in Minnesota willing to loan one out?

The entire wiring needs to be replaced and 12v parts can be found anywhere. A lot more work overall keeping it 6v.

Posted on: 6/19 13:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
But remember you will have to replace or convert every component of the car to 12V. All bulbs, clock and radio, ignition, senders, and charging system.

Posted on: 6/19 13:57
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

InlineOcho wrote:
Bendix gear doesn't seem to be engaging and the positive post is broken internally. I might fuddle with it to get it going but would like a longer term fix.

55-6 12v starters looks promising. I'll have to dig around. Anyone in Minnesota willing to loan one out?

The entire wiring needs to be replaced and 12v parts can be found anywhere. A lot more work overall keeping it 6v.

You can get a starter at a car show, you just need to take a few tools and have someone with you to keep the car's owner distracted! LOL

I'm not sure keeping your car 6 volt is more work, I would think the opposite, but I have kept mine 6 volt and not done a 12 volt conversion, so can't say for sure. Others that have done both would have a better idea.

Posted on: 6/19 14:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
deleted

Posted on: 6/19 14:45
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I'm not sure why it is sometimes thought that converting to 12v is an improvement. It is not and a well-sorted 6v system (even if positive ground as yours is) will do the job that it was engineered to do.

Posted on: 6/19 15:32
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

InlineOcho
See User information
Quote:

53 Cavalier wrote:

You can get a starter at a car show, you just need to take a few tools and have someone with you to keep the car's owner distracted! LOL

Going to MSRA Back to the 50’s this weekend in St Paul...great idea

I get the logic of keeping it 6v if everything else is working fine. As you can see from the attached picture, this is not the case. All the wiring needs to be redone. For about $200 I can get a "hot rod wiring kit" that is 12v. Throw in a 6V DC buck converter like this one and i can use the original radio.

My friend did find these Massey Ferguson tractor starters from the same era that come in 6 and 12V options. Any one know if that would work? Cant seem to find measurements online.

Attach file:

jpeg  Engine Bay - No starter.jpeg (1,243.77 KB)
226922_6674c8260a61b.jpeg 3076X4096 px

Posted on: 6/20 19:36
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved