Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 224

Packard Don, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1937 237 6 cylinder thermostat housing
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Retired
See User information
Good morning,
About to replace the housing and was wondering how many foot-pounds of torque to tighten the bolts and what type of sealant to use.
Thanks
Click to see original Image in a new window

Attach file:

png  IMG_8341.png (5,029.68 KB)
226317_66757d7e1e181.png 960X2079 px

Posted on: 6/21 8:24
 Top  Print   

Re: 1937 237 6 cylinder thermostat housing
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I used Permatex No.2 on mine last year, no leaks. Be sure to seal the bolt threads as those are open to the water jacket.

These are from the service manual for my 53, but I suspect your torque values would be the same. You can check the service manual for your car to know for sure.

Posted on: 6/21 9:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I'd keep torque down to 15 to 20 ftlb with the cast iron water outlet. The later ones were steel and would not crack. The cast iron ones can crack, especially if they are rusted or have been overtightend in the past. With clean surfaces and a good gasket and sealer, you should be OK at the lower torque. I would avoid using a thick gasket on the cast iron outlet. A thicker gasket or double gasket can be used on the steel outlets.

Posted on: 6/21 10:26
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
***TOPIC MOVED TO PRE-WAR FORUM***

Posted on: 6/21 15:39
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
My 1954 Patrician with aluminum head had some previously repaired corrosion and some damage to the steel outlet that made getting it to seal somewhat difficult no matter what type or how much sealant was used. Ultimately I used a cork gasket which solved the problem and needed only a thin layer is silicone gasket sealer. I’ve never used a torque wrench on these, instead relying on feel to get it tight.

Posted on: 6/21 16:47
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Retired
See User information
I’m still somewhat confused about the procedure of installing the new thermostat.
Does the thermostat go spring side down directly onto the cylinder head first, then the gasket and then the housing?
Should I put sealant on both sides of the gasket and anywhere else? It’s been many years since I’ve changed a thermostat.
Also the gasket I was given seems paper thin so I bought a bit thicker one.
It’s got a peel off plastic side with a tacky coating.
Thanks

Posted on: 6/21 22:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The thermostat is inserted into the housing spring side down. There should be a metal sleeve to hold the 'stat up in the housing against the internal shoulder. If that was missing from whatever was on the car before, you will need to buy of make one.

Posted on: 6/22 6:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
I've had the best luck on my thermostat housing using the following procedure:

1. Cork gasket (either get from one of the vendors or cut your own, cork gasket material is available at most autoparts stores by the roll).
2. Attach gasket to thermostat housing using a thin coat of permatex no. 2/indian head shellac/RTV - your choice, I prefer the indian head shellace.
3. Put a thin layer of grease on the gasket on the side the faces the head - this allows you to remove and re-install without having to replace the gasket every time. I use the same procedure on my oil pan, and I've had that off a few times with no damage to the gasket.

Good luck!

Posted on: 6/22 9:33
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation. Project blog / Registry

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015 Project blog / Registry
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved