Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 212

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Front Bumper Bolts, '56 Senior
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Pete '56
See User information
Is there any difference between bolt P/N 358215 and bolt P/N G120424? Page 16A of the 55-56 Master Parts Manual give the same dimensions,1/2-20 X 1 1/4, just different application or usage. The P/N 358215 bolt detail is not listed in the back of the Parts Manual.

Posted on: 6/27 15:42
 Top  Print   

Re: Front Bumper Bolts, '56 Senior
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
At least one of those is a carriage bolt and it’s a length that is not currently available. An original is shown here on the left but I just got some in that are 1/2-20 X 1-1/2” which is the closest available. The other PN is a regular hex bolt and I have those too in the proper 1-1/4” length but not sure which is which as far as part numbers go. In fact, I have a supply of all the 1956 front bumper bolts, nuts, washers and screws as I’m trying to put together a “kit” for my 1956 Clipper for when the time comes.

Attach file:

jpeg  2425A8AC-2209-48D0-A7A8-A608E840531B.jpeg (353.96 KB)
60923_667dd41c1dab6.jpeg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 6/27 16:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I checked on my car. The 358215 is a carriage bolt and the other is a normal hex bolt.

Posted on: 6/27 16:25
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
That makes sense and to confirm, I see that the G120424 is listed in Group 50.003 as a hex head which makes the other the carriage bolt.

Posted on: 6/27 16:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Pete ‘56

More than likely the bolt that has a Packard part number has a decorative head, while the ‘G’ part number is a general hardware item. The utility fasteners will not be visible when the bumper is viewed during a casual ‘walk around’, and can be found behind guards and attaching the brackets to the frame. I believe the ‘G’ designation also indicated to the dealer that the item could be procured locally. In group 50.050 there are plenty of ½ - 20 cad plated carriage bolts, which somewhat supports the assumption that the Packard part number would likely be the visible/decorative bumper bolt. If the intent was for the dealer to locally procure the utility items, then additional technical information (diameter/pitch/length) would be required, not so much for the Packard part number items.

dp

Posted on: 6/27 20:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
In this case, the bolt is entirely hidden but it is a carriage bolt because the head is inside an area of the bumper where it is difficult to access with a wrench. The only bolts that show are these 1/4-28s and even those are for the most part hidden by the license plate. On the right is an original that I had to drill out and on the left is the stainless replacement.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 6/27 21:06
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved