Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (40 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 119

humanpotatohybrid, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Re: Packard Decoder
Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
Looks great, Kevin!

Thanks for all you do for this site!

Posted on: 12/7 13:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Unable to decode engine number N320874 (actually stamped N320874CAL) but other than the CAL, it seems like a proper engine number and it's correct because I own it. It was in a 1951 300 Packard parts car that was used for stock car racing. Until recently I also owned engine number N349042CAL which I have since sold and it too does not decode.

Posted on: Today 15:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Packards last official engine letter was M for 54 so I am wondering if your N engines might have been service engines and had a unique numbering system dictated by California DMV when an engine was changed or was in some kind of special use vehicle. As I recall, some years back someone else had a strange prewar number no one could understand. Believe that one was without a first letter but had the CAL added along with some other numbers. Think consensus was it must have been an assigned number by DMV.

Posted on: Today 16:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Yes, that is a service replacement motor with a DMV assigned number.

I know of a 40 or 41 that ended up with a 327 in it that was a service replacement motor per the instructions of making 327 available for earlier cars. The car was in Southern Calif and it also had a N######CAL motor number.

Posted on: Today 17:05
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Yes, that is a service replacement motor with a DMV assigned number.

I know of a 40 or 41 that ended up with a 327 in it that was a service replacement motor per the instructions of making 327 available for earlier cars. The car was in Southern Calif and it also had a N######CAL motor number.

Maybe that is the number I was referring to and just didn't remember the N at the front. On the one I was thinking of there was a discussion early in the forum -- maybe not long after the serial numbers were posted when the owner asked for help in understanding his number.

Posted on: Today 17:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also, if I remember the stamping font/size was different. Also I have a faint memory of a star/asterisk also on another example I saw.

Posted on: Today 17:29
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved