Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
40 user(s) are online (30 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 38

FirstEliminator, Spero, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Removing 288 engine
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Spero
See User information
I have an early 1950 Deluxe 8 touring sedan, with the ultramatic transmission and 288 engine.
I am going to pull my engine so I can work on it easier and I can't find any information on how to go about doing so. Are there any sneaky bolts to look out for or good tutorial videos? Do I have to remove the camshaft first?

Posted on: Yesterday 16:41
 Top  Print   

Re: Removing 288 engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The camshaft? Why would you think you need to remove it first? Maybe you meant the driveshaft which of course does need to be disconnected from the transmission without actually removing it from the car. Anyway, no surprises or tricks but best to remove the front clip of the car first which some people prefer to do as a unit but it's heavy so you'll need help. That includes the radiator and radiator frame but do put some cardboard between the radiator and fan to prevent damage. Disconnect all electrical and linkages, disconnect the front and rear mounts. Once the engine is supported, remove the rear cross member which makes getting it out easier, the pull out the engine and transmission as an assembly. You can remove only the engine but in my experience it's easier to pull it with the transmission attached.

Posted on: Yesterday 17:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
The grille and fenders (NOT bumper) are attached to each other and the frame. If you have 2 friends you can unscrew only about 20 screws and remove the whole thing. Radiator and its support need disconnected or removed first.

Remove the driveshaft.

Then loosen the two engine mounts and single transmission mount. Lift 'er on out

You will need to remove the hood but do that LAST. Literally right before you pull the engine. Don't close the hood with no support for it to rest on.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/partslist/viewplate.php?cat=22&PlateNumber=58&partslist=1948-1954

Posted on: Yesterday 17:34
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I don't think the advice regarding the hood would be applicable to a '50.

Posted on: Today 9:21
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Spero
See User information
There is the obvious engine mount at the front. Where is the second engine mount and transmission mount? Is there a good illustration I missed?
Thanks.

Posted on: Today 11:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The other two mounts are on either side of the transmission.

Posted on: Today 11:23
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Spero
See User information
Is it possible to remove the engine without the transmission or not with this year?

Posted on: Today 11:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Yes, of course, but from experience I prefer to do it as an assembly rather than trying to disconnect the torque converter from underneath (if Ultramatic) or remove the throw-out bearing return spring if stick.

Posted on: Today 11:35
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved