Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 215

FirstEliminator, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1951 Packard Henney
Just popping in
Just popping in

PackardGirl1951
See User information
Hello!
Im restoring a 1951 Packard Henney Hearse/Ambulance and I am struggling to find a distributor for it. Any idea if there are other models that will fit? Thanks in advance :)

Posted on: Today 16:31
 Top  Print   

Re: 1951 Packard Henney
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Nearly any 1951-1954 Packard distributor will physically fit and will work and probably pre-1951 will work too as the blocks were more or less the same in that regard. I may even have a spare core of the original but if so it will need a full restoration. Using a different one may have a different centrifugal and vacuum advance curve so something to keep in mind.

I'm not sure if Autolite IGP 4502-B (inside is stamped IGT 1082) is what I actually used or whether it's the spare one but either way I have two with one that's correct and another that's off by one character in the model number.

Posted on: Today 16:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I used to own a 1951 Henney-Packard combination. Are you in California and is yours by chance blue? The last I saw it, it had new paint and was headed to the Concord, CA area.

Posted on: Today 17:00
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

PackardGirl1951
See User information
Wonderful! That is good to know. I will try to open my search up a little more. I may bug you with more questions as I get deeper into the restoration :)

Do you think other models such as Ford would fit? I have seen quite a few of those too. I'm not as familiar with the older models of vehicles and if parts are exchangeable.

Thank you!

Posted on: Today 17:11
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

PackardGirl1951
See User information
I was lucky enough to purchase this vehicle from the original funeral home in Ohio! It was the first one built in that year and shipped to southern Ohio. I have a 55 Packard that is my baby...stepping way out of my comfort zone with this new beauty

Posted on: Today 17:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
No, not Ford or any other make but the Packard mechanical and electrical parts are easy to come by but not so easy for the commercial chassis and body parts. I even have quite a few mechanical and trim spares available for Packard and Henney-Packards as I've owned five of them, three of which were in the same era as yours and I've owned lots of other Packards of the era too.

Most other makes of cars had the distributor's drive gear on the end of the shaft, but Packard's gear was on the oil pump even on the V8 models. Maybe other makes of the era did that too but I am not aware off-hand of any.

I am currently working on a 1951 Henney-Packard myself (see the link to the blog for it below) where you may gain some insights and find some bits and pieces in the Classified Ads. The distributor isn't listed but, as I was just working on my own recently, I know I have another as I used it for reference. Maybe start a blog of your own too where you can post questions as you progress but feel free to PM me directly too if you want.

Posted on: Today 17:14
 Top  Print   
Love (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day PackardGirl1951,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '51 Henney Hearse/Ambulance in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: Today 17:15
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved