Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
197 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 196

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Engine Oil and Battery Selection
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

Fibonachu wrote:
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:

Do not use a 12V battery unless you are also the type to fix broken parts with JB Weld and rust holes with Bondo

So people with limited funds who are not building show cars.

To be clear, I am not asking about running it long term. I am talking about firing it up to see if the engine can be made to run without a complete rebuild.

I would not if I were you. You will need a battery anyway, may as well get one first thing.

Posted on: Yesterday 20:45
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I'd buy a good quality full size 6 volt battery and top quality cables of the correct size. A good conventional motor oil in 10W30 or 10W40 is fine for all but the most extreme conditions. Fresh fuel is a must. There are a number of procedures that are good to follow when starting a car that has not run in a long while. There are several discussions on this forum relating to them. Don't start the car without coolant in the radiator unless you want to burn out the water pump seal. I'd go over the car and oil and grease all the lube points before doing anything else. A good pump oil can is needed. Just about everything on the car that moves will need lubrication of one kind or another. A car in good condition won't start and run correctly with a junk battery, junk cables, dirty ignition points, stale gasoline, etc.

Posted on: Yesterday 20:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Do you have background information on the car, such as general condition, how long it has been inactive, how it ran when last used?

Posted on: Yesterday 21:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I suggest turning the engine over two full turns to make sure nothing is stuck. A 1" socket will do the job on the bolt on the front of the crankshaft. That is most easily reached from under the car.

Then don't even put a battery in it for preliminary investigations. Just jump it with good jumper cables from any convenient 12v car or tractor. I wouldn't even turn the key on. Run a hot wire over to the coil--if it doesn't spark as you connect it then either your points are open or are dirty. Use another hot wire to touch the small post on the starter solenoid to make it crank. These cars are not made out of cotton candy. Thus we move the parts cars around all the time. You will do well with an old lawn mower gas tank hanging on the drip rail to feed some fresh gas into the carb. Don't forget to plug the line coming from the fuel pump or you may get an unpleasant surprise if she does fire up.

Posted on: Yesterday 21:42
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Fibonachu
See User information
Quote:

TxGoat wrote:
Do you have background information on the car, such as general condition, how long it has been inactive, how it ran when last used?

That is the crux of it. Depending on whether you ask the previous owner or his uncle whose farm it was parked on since the mid 60s, it was parked because he blew the transmission up OR because it had a serious rod knock.

Around here a cheap grade 6V battery is $300 and a mid grade one is $500.

If it is just the transmission, that is manageable to move forward. If it has a serious rod knock then the engine has to come out. Given the $$$ to deal with that, something 12V would almost certainly go into it, thus wasting the cost of the 6V battery.

I do believe I understand the risk. I will consider my options.

As far a turning the crank, I have resurrected a few old engines before. Pull the plugs, give each cylinder a shot of ATF, let that soak while I pull and clean the carb. Gently rock the crank back and forth by the dampener bolt to break it loose (if it was stuck), fresh oil, gas from a gas can with a 2.5psi electric pump, etc.

It will get the full "wake up" treatment, but it is stored at a buddy's place an hour from civilization so I need to take anything I might need with me.

Posted on: Yesterday 22:38
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Orange-Lark
See User information
I am surprised not to see a mirror outside

Posted on: Yesterday 23:25
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved