Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
94 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 91

Packard Don, TxGoat, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fuel Pump Rebuild
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Current project is to rebuild my fuel pump, not because I think it's bad, but because I have no idea how old the diaphragms are. I would guess it's been rebuilt at least once as there are a couple of the original lock washers missing.

Found this very helpful video.https://youtu.be/g4uJh_mn_6g?si=ng7DThSDpTPxtfcF Thank goodness for the internet, like packardinfo.com, it makes caring for our cars so much easier.

Question: The rebuild kit came with 2 new gaskets (pictured below) which are not nearly as thick as the original gasket. The new ones are 0.024" each and old one is 0.078". The new ones will compress a bit and I suspect even if I stacked the two of them they would be about half as thick as the original. Should I stack the two new ones, or use the two new ones on either side of the old one, or other?? I'm not so concerned about the position as I am about heat transfer. I may be over-thinking this, but I'm rebuilding my fuel pump to prevent issues, not cause them!

I'm glad to see things are pretty clean inside, that is, not a bunch of junk stuck to the screen. (I didn't even know there was a screen!) I suspect I'll find the diaphragms are in good shape, but good to get ones installed that I know are compatible with modern fuels.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: Today 9:07
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuel Pump Rebuild
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
We rebuilt my brother-in-law's pump a year or so ago and had the same problem with thin gaskets. If I remember correctly we ended up cutting out a new gasket from some thicker material I had on hand. I don't know that it matters much if the gasket is thin or thick, but that's what we did.

-Kevin

Posted on: Today 10:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

kevinpackard wrote:
We rebuilt my brother-in-law's pump a year or so ago and had the same problem with thin gaskets. If I remember correctly we ended up cutting out a new gasket from some thicker material I had on hand. I don't know that it matters much if the gasket is thin or thick, but that's what we did.

-Kevin

Making one is probably the best solution. I think the gasket thickness would have minimum impact on how the pump operates. I think the more important consideration would be minimizing heat transfer with a thicker gasket.

Posted on: Today 10:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
I agree that heat transfer needs to be minimized. Of course, too much gasket thickness will reduce pump stroke. I'd want to use ALL of the available heat mitigating items: proper gasket, insulating washers, insulating tubes on the studs, and heat shield. The gaskets on the bowl/screen are critical, both to prevent air lock and to prevent fuel from leaking out when the vehicle is parked. I had a fuel pump bowl gasket leak, and it dumped several gallons of gasoline from a full tank over night, which could have been a disaster.

Posted on: Today 12:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
When I did mine I used a film of gasket sealant on the screen/bowl gasket and on the washer gasket under the centre bolt. No sign of leaks. Had the unit out in very hot weather and parked in the sun between runs and no issues with vapour lock either.
Bob J.

Posted on: Today 13:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The thicker original gasket is meant to reduce heat transfer to the fuel pump from the engine block.
I would just re-use it if its is in good condition.
Do you have the fibre sleeves and phenolic washers for the attaching bolts ? These are meant to reduce heat transfer as well.

Posted on: Today 14:59
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved