Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
79 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 79

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Barn Find 1954 Caribbean
Just popping in
Just popping in

Atltee
See User information
I posted pix but didnt attach to this thread... Operator error.
See if this works
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: Yesterday 19:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The head on the car is cast iron but should be aluminum as shown in this photo from my 1954 Patrician which uses the same engine. Note the smooth, rounded corners.

Posted on: Yesterday 19:34
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Orange-Lark
See User information
Windshield is $1500?

It is listed for only $510 for 53-54 Packard, but I know it is for standard four doors. Now I feel I might need to buy it sooner....

https://www.vendio.com/stores/bobsclassicautoglass/item/packard-glass/1953-1954-packard-windshield-c/lid=34213115

Posted on: Yesterday 20:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The convertible and 2-door hardtop models use different windshields that until very recently were never reproduced. Nevertheless, if the price is good for this car I would jump on it rather than wait while working out all the details!

Posted on: Yesterday 21:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Price range is hard to say, maybe with some engine work and a lot of cleaning and servicing you could have a driveable car. "If" a 54 Caribbean in fair condition is worth $30,000.00, how much does it take to get this one to fair condition? "If" you could get it to fair condition for $18,000.00 then the car to me is worth $12,000.00. There, I threw down some numbers, that should start a debate!

Now if your like me, I love working on my car, and do everything I can including learning upholstery. So there is the "hobby value" as well, which scores higher if a '54 Caribbean is a "must have" car for you. It's an expensive hobby, but so is golf!

I think tops are rather expensive, so if this one can be used, that's a bonus. Upholstery is also expensive, and even if the leather covers are in good shape, the seats will probably need some rebuilding, maybe restitching. Engine, transmission, drive train, brakes...............who knows!?!?

Some of these things become less of a concern if you're going to do a frame-off restoration because it's just expensive regardless. It's a different story if you're plan is to make it into a nice driver rather than a show car.

It sounds like this car is pretty complete, other than the broken grille, which is a bonus if you don't have to go hunting and paying for too many parts.

I would do everything original myself, including the paint colours.

Is there an asking price?? Sometimes people over-price cars because they don't realize how expensive it is to fix them up. Some cars even if you got them for free are not a good deal.

Keep us posted!

Posted on: Yesterday 21:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
The 53 thru 56 Caribbeans hold enough value that when properly repaired, they will gain value faster than the parts cost you throw at it. Of course, your time will be worth roughly minimum wage, but it's better than the other cars (especially sedans) that you can throw 20k at a 5k car and have a 12k car.

Posted on: Today 6:25
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You can also throw 50k at a 5k car and have a 15k car!

I've always been a fan of the 54 Standard Convertible. While essentially the same car as a 54 Caribbean. It doesnt have the expensive special trim parts, hood and bodu modifications.

But then again, it also doesn't demand the same money either.

Everything is relative.

Posted on: Today 6:47
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved