Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
297 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 297

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 150 151 152 (153)

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Thanks both of you. I had the car up and looked underneath. I didn't see any bracket down low under where the pedal is mounted. It's possible that it has one there at some point, but I don't see it now.

I reconnected the spring to the throttle linkage and down to the flange on the firewall. I think that's where it was before on my car, and it worked fine. I got home without an issue.

But I'm seeing the pedal to throttle linkage doesn't have anything keeping it in place. Before this there was some wire that basically acted as a tie to hold it in place. It got lost when the spring broke. There is buying preventing that linkage from coming off, so I ended up just wrapping some electrical tape around the end of the shaft to keep it from coming off. Just enough to get me home.

How is this supposed to be attached? There is no hole for a cotter pin. There is no flange or know to keep it from falling out of the hole.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: Today 17:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There should be a snap on clip on the rod coming from the bottom pivot. If you enlarge the illustration of the accelerator linkage you can barely see it.

You can probably find one from a parts car or some vendors have new for other cars although I can't say if the diameter of the rods would be the same. Another option would be to drill for a cotter key. I also vaguely remember seeing them online -- possibly at McMaster -- but don't remember the official name to do a search for them.

Posted on: Today 17:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I believe you are talking about hairpin clips?

KPack just measure the dia with a caliper. Should be obvious which size to buy. I would get a multi pack somewhere MADE IN USA.
https://www.mcmaster.com/products/clevis-clips/hairpin-clips~~/

Posted on: Today 17:54
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is what was there originally. Unfortunately best photo I could easily get was a back side view but there are probably good front views in photos in SM or other parts books. The long part of clip snaps on the length of rod and a couple of "ears" go on either side of the linkage piece. When the short bent end is inserted in the hole and clip snapped on rod it holds the short bent end in the hole.

What I call hairpin clips which is sort of U shaped with the double ends and bulge in the middle that goes in a groove on the rod would also work but you would need to make a notch or something to hold it on.

Posted on: Today 18:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Here’s the spring in my 1954 Patrician along with the clip for the rod.

It may not seem like a big deal but I took the photo and sent it from outside my shop which just a few days ago would have been impossible. I now have powerful WiFi inside and out due to a couple new TP-Link devices and the system is powered fully by solar and a large 12V lithium battery! Of course, the Internet itself up here is abysmally slow and lucky to get 12 mbps.

Posted on: Today 19:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Perfect, that's exactly what I was looking for. This place is the best.

Same linkage as the ones on the carb. Makes sense.

I'll look around in my parts bin that came with the car to see if the clip is there (probably not), otherwise I'll measure the shaft and order the right one. Lots of little things like this were missing from the car when I got it.

-Kevin

Posted on: Today 19:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
This type of clip is common and can probably even be found at a local parts house although you may have to buy a kit with various sizes.

Posted on: Today 19:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I can check if I have any this size and if I do I will be happy to mail it to you. I'll check tomorrow and let you know but it probably won't be until the afternoon.

Posted on: Today 20:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Ok I was clearly looking at a different clip. 😅

Posted on: Today 21:09
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 150 151 152 (153)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved