Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 133

Retired , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 25 26 27 (28)

Re: Dad's 56
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dads 56
See User information
Sever arthritis in my knees has limited mobility for me for a bit, so I decided to tackle a project Stewarts 400 had me considering.
The rear quarter windows weather seal. I found some heavy velvet type material at the fabric store, & using some bowdrill cloth, I gave it a whirl.
I am quite happy with the result aesthetically. I have yet to decide if the window seal I chose will work, as the arc of raising the quarter window could cause it to bind.
I also discovered the beltline weather strips can be bent into an arc, so gluing them in may be an option.
I do know the center V at the bottom of the weather strip will have to be trimmed flush at the very least to allow the glass to rotate up into place.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 9/21 10:38
1956 Packard Executive 2 door hard top (5677A)
1956 Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan (5622)(parts car)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
best of luck in your efforts because wear in those pieces is a common issue and to the best of my knowledge there is nothing offered in a drop-in repro weatherstripping that is a duplicate for any of the items in the curved roof section. If you can come up with easily found and modified pieces others will also benefit.

Alignment of the window as it slides thru the curved portion and good lubrication of the regulator section with a non hardening lube will be critical. The least bit of binding or excess pressure on one of the weatherstrip pieces seems to be an issue with what I consider to be a very over stressed motor trying to raise the window. I have often wondered if there is some way to add a secondary spring assist to some place on the linkage to help out the single coiled flat spring on the geared sector in the drive section. Maybe it could be fastened directy but with space constraints more likely remote and connected via a wire rope and pulley. If you see any opportunity, IMO it would be worth exploring and then sharing.

Posted on: 9/21 11:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dads 56
See User information
Thanks for the feedback HH56
I have manual windows so stress on the motor is not an issue,
I’m hoping to put the regulator in once my knee pain subsides
& see how much clearance there is.
Thanks for the lubrication recommendation also

I had to buy a whole yard of the material to match what I had, & used just a sliver of it
So will have lots for when or if it wears out in my lifetime

Posted on: 9/21 14:37
1956 Packard Executive 2 door hard top (5677A)
1956 Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan (5622)(parts car)
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 25 26 27 (28)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved